Worms

Hey i was fishing in orillia yesterday with my friend and we caught a bunch of perch that we brought home to cook up, when we filleted them we found that some of the fish had little tiny white round things tucked into the meat. It wasnt all of the fish that had it . So are those white round things worms ? If so are they still ok to eat if you pull them out?

Thanks

Jason

Yup, those are worms. I usually don't see them in perch. But about 3 years ago, icefishing on Simcoe, I caught a lot of wormy perch.

After filleting the fish, I use the pointy tip of the fillet knife to just flick 'em out. Personally, they don't gross me out. And even if you miss a few, they won't harm you.

Almost all the cod we catch in Nova Scotia have worms. We just pick them out before we cook them.

Ryan

I went out on a fishing boat for mackerel from Halifax a few years ago and the captain told me that a good percentage of the cod that they catch out there have worms because the cod eat seal crap, and the seals have worms. I don't know, but that's what I was told. They also said, like everyone above, that you can either pick them out or just cooke them as they won't do you any harm cooked.

Almost all the cod we catch in Nova Scotia have worms. We just pick them out before we cook them.

Ryan

When I was about 10 or 11 my mom bought cod at the grocery store and when she got it home there were still live worms crawling around inside lol she brought it back and they told her that a lot of cod are like that. To this day my mom won't buy or eat cod, she loves perch though :whistling:

-Ben

When I was about 10 or 11 my mom bought cod at the grocery store and when she got it home there were still live worms crawling around inside lol she brought it back and they told her that a lot of cod are like that. To this day my mom won't buy or eat cod, she loves perch though :whistling:

-Ben

A least you know the fish was fresh!

-Ben

That is absolutely disgusting. I would think that the grocery store would know better than to sell food with live worms crawling around inside. I would never shop at that particular grocery store ever again.