Indian blockade at Deseronto

lew

Haven't heard too much lately, but if this protest is still in effect, does anyone know what roads are messed up ??

Specifically, are hwy 8 south thru Napanee, and hwy 33 from Trenton to Picton open ??

Heading down in 2 weeks and don't want to get screwed up.

'mornin Bud!

In yesterdays local rag...'The Quinte Shield'

The front page showed the arrest of several Mohawk protesters at Deseronto.

Julian Fantino just 3-4 days prior stated he would no longer put up with the blockades and clear both Deseronto and Caledonia.

Shawn Brant..(Mohawk protester extreme) was re-arrested after only being out of jail a couple of weeks for the same thing about 12 months back. He was charged with weapons dangerous, pointing a firearm, assault police and resisting arrest. His brother was also charged, first offence, weapons dangerous, using a vehicle as a weapon, assault police and possession of a forbidden substance...........as well, several other protesters were also arrested.

Lew, as I understand it, the ones who are being arrested all the time and causing these roadblocks are not a true representation of the Mohawks of the Tyendinega reserve but just rebel rousers. No one is trying to take there land away or trespass.....There are several businesses on the rz that depend on outside customer volume and

I travel into the rez regularly Bud, for smokes and gas at $1.08/ltr.

There were a few times that it was tough /impossible to get in but have had no probs lately.

Just bring yer" Louisville Slugger" along Lew & give 'em a smile! :canadian:

I'm sure alot of folks have felt that way Dan :whistling:

Thanks Pete, good to hear the roads are OK........for now anyways.

'mornin Bud!

In yesterdays local rag...'The Quinte Shield'

The front page showed the arrest of several Mohawk protesters at Deseronto.

Julian Fantino just 3-4 days prior stated he would no longer put up with the blockades and clear both Deseronto and Caledonia.

Shawn Brant..(Mohawk protester extreme) was re-arrested after only being out of jail a couple of weeks for the same thing about 12 months back. He was charged with weapons dangerous, pointing a firearm, assault police and resisting arrest. His brother was also charged, first offence, weapons dangerous, using a vehicle as a weapon, assault police and possession of a forbidden substance...........as well, several other protesters were also arrested.

Lew, as I understand it, the ones who are being arrested all the time and causing these roadblocks are not a true representation of the Mohawks of the Tyendinega reserve but just rebel rousers. No one is trying to take there land away or trespass.....There are several businesses on the rz that depend on outside customer volume and

I travel into the rez regularly Bud, for smokes and gas at $1.08/ltr.

There were a few times that it was tough /impossible to get in but have had no probs lately.

Nice to see officials showing some balls finally.

Thanks Scott, we actually camp in Dorland, east of the ferry near Adolphustown, but have been taking 33 and then crossing on the ferry since 1955.

If I ever changed routes, and didn't use the ferry, it could be a bad omen and screw up our pickeral luck :thumbsup_anim:

We've also got folks coming from Montreal though, and that's why I was checking on #8 down thru Napanee, that'll be best for them.

Thanks again for the advice though. :Gonefishing:

If your freinds are coming from Montreal. Have them take the Gardner's exit in Kingston. Goes straight down to hwy 33 (Bath Road). That will get them off the 401 and they can enjoy a more relaxing pace with better scenery to Picton.

Thanks Scott, we actually camp in Dorland, east of the ferry near Adolphustown, but have been taking 33 and then crossing on the ferry since 1955.

If I ever changed routes, and didn't use the ferry, it could be a bad omen and screw up our pickeral luck :thumbsup_anim:

We've also got folks coming from Montreal though, and that's why I was checking on #8 down thru Napanee, that'll be best for them.

Thanks again for the advice though. :Gonefishing:

Thanks for thinking of us Lew .

I usually buy my gas and some food from the natives like to support them.Just hate it when the roads are blocked.after all I drive 4 hours from Montreal to spend my $$$$$$$$$$ in the BOQ.

On the way back from TrentonI saw a sign off the highway just before the Marysville exit .A sign that said under 3000 people on a reserve without clean drinking water(not exact words).Can someone explain this one.if its true the government needs a wake up call