Trailer Tire Wear

edmichit

So the good news is, i got a new tire for my trailer. The bad news.....well i'm not sure what caused the tire wear only on one side of the trailer.

I have not traveled enough with this boat to create this kind of wear in the last few years.

Left side tire is fine, (normal wear), right side see pictures below.

So any expert advice would be appreciated, don't want to wear down this new tire, if something is wrong.

I'm hoping it was just my negligence on tire pressure? (btw what do most of you set your tire pressure at? for bias ply)

Could it be alignment? it trailers fine(pulls straight)

looking for your thoughts and comments.

HPIM1489.JPG

HPIM1487.JPG

uneven wear on a trailer signifies a bent spindle or a faulty wheel bearings in your hub.... I've never seen a single trailer tire wear on the outside 100% on the inside..... if you axles were mounted on an angle[out of horizontal alignment] it would wear one on the inside and one on the outside.

you may check this " kinda sorta " with a level while parked on level ground...

I've seen pothole bent spindles more than once....

start off by checking the bearings...

Good Luck !!

Randy...

Jack the tires off the ground and wiggle side to side. If there is significant play the bearings might be shot. Just had the same thing happen on my 06 trailer. The bearings were not properly installed. Good thing my father is a millright. He took care of it. I got a new set on now. Perfect.

Yep.. as Roy points out either a bent axle = some toe in or postive caster..... or look back in your mirror while you're towing. Are you running that tire down the edge of the pavement and need to drive closer to the yellow line? See way too many people that forget the trailer is wider than their car/truck.

Oh.. and boat trailer tires are generally 50psi

Edited by irishfield

The number 1 cause to uneven tire wear on trailers is that the tire was never balanced. However, I am not saying for sure that's your problem or only problem. I can't inspect your trailer from here but like other said check the end play of your bearings, check to see it the axle shifted slightly on that side etc.........

I had similar wearings on trailer tires and really got tired of it after a while. Those "special" trailer tire cost way too much so here's what I did. I went down to my local Sam's Club and purchased two automotive RADIAL tires in the approx size needed and had them mount and BALANCE the tires. Now over 10 years later problem is still gone. With the "special" trailer tires (not balanced) I was only getting 3-4 year at BEST out of my tires. Believe me the automotive RADIAL tires where less than HALF of what I was paying for the "special" trailer tires and a LOT easier to get. I will never go back to "special" tires again.

Bob

I had a tire that looked like that, just after the axle snapped off.

Are you sure your axle is not bent? Just from where it mounts to the spring, to the spindle? That's where mine went.....I could hardly see it, it was that close to the spring. On the underside of the axle, there was a hole where the spring fit in. Well, that hole caused the whole problem......she snapped right off. Lucky I was close to home when it happened.

Take a good look at it.

Sinker

thanks, great advice as always.

I guess it won't hurt to change the bearings(due anyway).

Check the axle, likely easiest when the wheel is off.

Check the axle alignment/level as well.

a new axle.....likely the most expensive part of a trailer i would think.

i'll let you know what i find out.

thanks again, i appreciate the advice

UPDATE

checked axle, seems ok, and unlikely cause of trouble, metal looks to be unstressed. I couldnt confirm since this typle of trailer axle (shorelander) is round, and deeps to go under the transom of the boat.

checked bearing play, seemed solid, no wiggle in it.

so that leaves tire inflation (under inflation) the likely factor.....that and my neglect to monitor it all last season :wallbash:

new digital tire inflation gauge now in truck.

inflation set at 45lbs, 5lbs less then spec.....anyone suggest differently?

thanks for the help

Tire BALANCE is definitely a cause to tire wear. I wouldn't tow a trailer of any kind any distance without the tires being balanced.

Bob

I've never balanced a trailer tire in my life.

We just bought a brand new Yacht Club tandem, and i can't see any weights on the tires.

I've never even heard of trailer tires getting balanced......

Sinker

I've never balanced a trailer tire in my life.

We just bought a brand new Yacht Club tandem, and i can't see any weights on the tires.

I've never even heard of trailer tires getting balanced......

Sinker

Sinker, your right you hardly see "boat" trailer tires balanced and you will never see one balanced from a dealer because

1) they probably don't have a tire balancing machine

2) this raises the cost of their product

HOWEVER, I HIGHLY recommend having them balanced. This will save unneeded trailer vibrations and tire wear. If you are only towing the boat a few miles then I guess it's not a big deal. But I have towed my rig all over the US and Ontario and being a mechanic I wouldn't dream of towing a boat trailer without having the tires properly balanced.

BTW call one of your local travel trailer dealers and ask them if it's a good idea to have your tires balanced on your trailer (don't say boat trailer). I will bet you a dozen night crawlers that they say YES have the tires balanced.