APRIL 30 CRAPPIE REPORT *PICS*

well I got back from dominican yesterday where I got certified for scuba diving, what a blast!!!

260408099.jpg

Today, back in this cold nation, my roommate wanted to take his "new" boat out for a test. So we decided on some crappie.

We got into them pretty good, but no real big ones. Small tubes worked well, also little 2 inch grubs.

Around 7pm I got an OOS largemouth around 3 pounds, back quickly she went. 10 minutes later, my float drops, and about 5 minutes later I boated this.

IMG_2654.jpg

Kind of fun on a 5' UL rod and 6 lbs test.

Here's a couple crappie for the pan.

IMG_2657.jpg

Steve it might be a good idea to get in touch with a PADI insctructor here in Canada and ask him to test you for your scuba certification.

When I took my course here in Canada they warned us about the courses down south, most places are just interested in making quick money and you are not getting a full course. My course was 4 hours a night, 2 nights a week for 2 months. Then 2 full days off check outs. Unless you spent your whole vacation in a classroom, I doubt that you were given a proper course.

The reason I am bringing this up is that some former friend had taken one of those crash courses in Fla.

The summer after they had taken it they rented equipment to go up to the cottage and do a couple of dives. They asked me to drive up with them because I had a Jimmy back then and they needed to bring 8 scuba tanks and all the equipment. I said sure, as we got to the cottage the other buddy called and said that he couldn't make it until the next day.

So I asked my buddy if I could try it out. He said sure.

He had just broken the #1 rule of not letting uncertified divers use his equipment. Then he gave me his diving book and told me to read thru it just to give me pointers. I did that while drinking 5-6 beers, he never told me not to. He just broke the #2 rule, not telling me to Never to dive while under the influence. So I put on all the diving stuff. then we went diving, I had somebody else's equipment and I needed a it more weight to keep me down there. So I went to the bottom and picked up a rock off the bottom and I took off and never saw him again for 45 minutes. He broke the #3 rule by not telling me to stay in view range of him. Also he never told me about the #4 rule which is never to hold your breath underwater. If I would've ran out of air I would held my breath and would've swam up to the surface, I would be dead now if I had done that.

I know that he never forced me to do any of this but he shouldn't have never said yes when I asked.

I had a great time during that 45 minute dive, so the next winter I enrolled into a course and after the first class I said to myself. What The hell. So I have not befriended this guy ever since. He took my life into his own hands and didn't give a crap.

So do yourself a favor and contact A PADI instructor, they have refresher courses. Your life might depend on it.

Edited by wallyboss

That's what I am saying , he should've said " No I am not lending you the equipment" right at first. Now I know that's the number one rule because I took the course. But back then I didn't know, I tought it was cool, It was a nice summer day and I was having fun. And the reason I took the course was because I had so much fun. But he broke the rule of lending his equipment to uncertified divers. I had no idea that it could be that dangerous.

It was just a friendly warning to Steve, that maybe he wasn't given all the necessary info. I am really surprised that I was called stupid for trying to help a fellow scuba diver.

Edited by wallyboss

It sounds to me like you were both to blame here. I don't think it is fair that you would throw away a friendship over this. Would it not serve you better to maybe let him know what you are feeling and where the mistakes were so he does not do the same to another friend who could make different choices than you and actually hurt himself but to put all the blame on him... 5-6 beers and then go scuba diving for the first time... come on give your head a shake.

I never said 5-6 beers in 45 minutes, I had 5-6 beers that afternoon. And yes I told him after I went to my first course the next Winter that he messed up. That afternoon I tought that everything was okay, cause nothing happened. I had nothing to blame myself for, I tought it was cool and I wanted to try it. But the whole point of my story was to make sure that Steve got a proper course. Because of the history of some of the Dive Shops down south. And to let him know that for a couple of 100 bucks that he can go on a PADI refresher course.