VHF radio recommendations

icefisherman

After testing my antenna with Brian's VHF radio we've determined 101% my brand new radio is defective and this has been the reason for the strange "helicopter" noise others hear when I transmit.

So, after hard negotiation Bass Pro store in Vaughan Mills have agreed to take my radio back and give me store credit for the same value. They refused giving me cash back as I bought it from Bass Pro in the US on the phone last November and have just installed and tested it week ago.

So, I'll be going there tomorrow to return the radio and see what other one they can offer....

Here is what they have available on their web site:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...DIOSACCESSORIES

Anyone can recommend any of the available radios there that are in the low $100 range?

The one I am returning(Cobra MR F55) cost me just under $100 and this is the amount of credit I'll get now to play with.

I don't mind paying little extra to get considerably better radio....but don't want to be paying more than $150.

Or should Bass Pro not have any decent radios in that price range, should I go and buy a new radio elsewhere and use my Bass Pro credit for something else later on?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

I have used the Uniden brands with no problems, both hand held and fixed. I would stay away from the Cobra units, it's real bad assembly line junk from what I have heard. Try:http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_58954_200001005_200000000_200001000_200-1-5

If you have a Lowrance or Eagle GPS Chartplotter, the Lowrance LVR 250 DSC is a decent choice.

Should run around $130.

I seem to like this Lowrance radio, price seems to be OK and I maybe buying Lowrance Fishfinder/GPS next year...and I've seen it working on Brian's boat and it did work on my boat with my antenna during the testing session with Brian on Sunday...not sure if Bass Pro in Vaughan will have it though....???

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

If you are buying Lowrance or Eagle equipment The lowrance unit is the way to go as you can network the unit to your GPS.... ensure the unit has DSC :) DSC transmits your GPS location to the Coast Guard in the case of distress.

G

I was going to recommend the Raymarine radio which is the old Raytheon company. They make the best but then I seen BPS wants $249.00 for it. That's $100 more than I paid. Are these Canadian prices on the link you posted. But anyways look for a radio that has the cooling fans on the back of the radio so it doesn't burn itself out.

Bob

I was going to recommend the Raymarine radio which is the old Raytheon company. They make the best but then I seen BPS wants $249.00 for it. That's $100 more than I paid. Are these Canadian prices on the link you posted. But anyways look for a radio that has the cooling fans on the back of the radio so it doesn't burn itself out.

Bob

Bob,

those prices on the web site are US prices and not all on the web site is available in the Vaughan store.

Not sure if the Vaughan store sells products that are not on the US web site?!?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

get the Lowrance fixed mount - LBs has the best price - some places will be willing to match it

Well Le Baron sells it for $134.63 a bit on the high side compared to what retailers in the US sell it for.

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp08/fishi...owrance_xog.pdf

Not sure if Le Baron will price match US price though?!?

Any place else in Canada that sells that same radio for close to the US price of $110?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm...mp;isArchived=0

This one has just come on the market it has an internal GPS is DSC capable and is at 6 watts will be avaiable at most marine outlets mid May

250.00-300.00

already have my order in

Ya, but that's not a fixed unit which have 25Watts output to go the distance.

Guys thanks for all your help....

After hard negotiation at BPS Vaughan Mills today I got full cash refund...then to my huge surprise they've had the Lowrance LVR 250 DSC under the counter. One unit only available to sell but that is all I needed anyways ;-) At a good price too - only $124 compared to Le Baron and Josh that were $10-$15 higher priced.

After some more hard negotiations I got the manager to give me additional 5% discount on it and I bought it...will install it and test it but should be working fine as I've done my last testts with exact same radio (Brian's).

So, the radio issue should be solved...if I only can sort my left trailer brake light now would be great ;-)

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman