Turkey hunting

Jay T

Well we woke up bright and early had breakfast got the truck loaded and we were off to go turkey hunting. Arrived at my dads place got dressed in our camo and off we went to the get in our blind. Well as we got half way down the field we noticed some turkeys roosting in the trees accross the field, which was just perfect so we continued on didn't have much time before the sun was coming up. We got a little closer to our blind and more turkeys just back in the bush making some noise, so my dad decided to set up there and wait and see if they would come out past him. Well things are really looking good at this point, so my son and I hustle to get in the blind. Get there get the decoy set up and rush back to the blind. We give it about 15 min and the bush starts to come alive with gobbles and hens purring, the sun just starts to show its self and we hear them fly down from roosting. I start to put the call to work and it doesn't take long to get a answer, I see them in the middle of the field about 100 yards away and there was 12 birds 3 toms and 9 hens. I have never seen this before there was one hen that had grey and white all over there was very little black on it, it was neat to see and we saw a hen with a 3" beard on it to. Anyways the sun is up and everything is a go, the tom starts to head my way with one of the hens, she runs right over to the decoy but gets spooked but he comes right in about 15 yards from me in full strut giving me and my son quite the show, this is the second time I have taken him out with me and he just loves it. Well it was time to fill my tag, so I line up take the saftey off then let him have it. He was a great bird with beautiful fan on him he had a 9" beard and 11/16 spurs he weighed at 20lbs, he will be going in my deep fryer mmmmmmm you just can't beat them in that cooker. So now I have another turkey fan I must do, I promised my son I would do it for him so he can have it in his room.

Good luck to everyone that is turkey hunting and be safe.

a100_1681.JPG

Edited by outdoorsman

Great report, nice to see your son, and dad hunting together, very special indeed.

Taking my son for his first hunt next weekend, as a Hunting Aprentice, i hope he gets to shot one.

i never would have thought those electric calls, would do the trick....now we have proof they work.