Wheel Bearings

Gawel

Lately I noticed some noise coming from around my tires so I got it checked out. I was told the wheel bearing on the right side has to be replaced. I am going to go ahead with the work soon...only thing is I have about a week of solid driving ahead of me (~250km/day) and I didnt get the mechanic to do the work yet. The mechanic didnt feel that it was important to do it right away...however I dont want my wheel to fly off while on the hwy. Any experience with wheel bearings? should I be alright for another 1500km??

Thanks for any input!

A noisy wheel bearing will disintegate instantly one day... and really ruin your day. Wife's 2003 Ford Sport trac (with only 72K on it) went from no noise.. to noise one day and two days later daughter mentioned the noise directly to me.. I jacked it up and the right front outer was totally gone... riding on inner only. Could move front wheel 5 inches travel in/out without moving front hub assembly !! Someone was looking out for us as wife was supposed to make the run to Ottawa and back and I only went with my truck because I wanted to pick up my ice hut!

Get it in.. NOW !

Thanks for the replies. The noise is clearly getting louder since I first noticed it. I hope I can find a shop that can do it tomorrow. If not, I think I will play it safe and get a rental. $300 parts and labour is the quote I got.

what kind of vehicle is it? I would get it fixed as soon as you can, I know on my explorer it is the whole hub assembly that had to be changed. I was pulling into the parking lot of my mechanic and the damn wheel fell right off and smoke was pouring out of the wheel well.

Ya, if its the whole hub with the bearing.......better get that fixed ASAP. Your wheel could come right off!!! I've seen it happen right in front of my eyes doing 110 up hwy 115......not a pretty sight to say the least!!

Sinker

I'd guess $140 parts .. $160 labour, with standard dealer shop rates hovering $80/hr these days. Hour a side to pull the wheel, drop the caliper...pull the disc...hub assembly.. remove old.. clean.. pack new install reinstall disc/caliper/wheel.

Actually if it is the whole hub assembly with bearing 300 bucks is a good price for parts and labour.

Heck my hub assemble cost me $225 just for parts, and I got a deal. That was for a Silverado 2500 HD though but hub assemblies are not cheap no matter what your driving.

Just make sure you do it soon!!

I Just ( last Friday) had my 2002 Buick done, it ended up costing me 300 per side for parts, got lucky had the chance to do both.

My mechanic told me also that the wheel was about to fall off, don't take a chance and have them check bouth sides the other one may have started just like mine, when all was said and done with oil change $950 taxes in.

Small price for safety.

FLEX