Tips for Pike

MCTFisher9120

Fish eat fish and other usually smaller things in the water, mostly a bass fisherman myself and a lot of my tackle is geared to that species, but the fish don`t know.

I have caught bass, walleye, pike, sheephead, carp, muskie, steelhead, panfish, catfish, ect. on the same tackle. A lure in the water catches more fish than one in the tackle box.

Pike have teeth and overall a bigger mouth than a bass, use a steel or fluorocarbon leader, a lot of bite offs with out one. Crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jig and pigs, tubes, plastic worms, surface lures, pike eat them. Steel leaders may throw off the action of some lures, bass fishing at night can be great, not much luck for pike at night for me.

Just a trend I have noticed is a big pike in the area the bass disappear, a big feeding pike may cause other species to jump out of the water to escape, watch the water. Morning and evening near shore, mid day deeper water, deeper edges.

You will catch Pike a lot when your Bass fishing. They hang out in the same spots Largemouth do. (Weeds)

Just make sure (if your targeting Pike), that you attach a wire leader to your line, so you dont lose all your good bass baits!!

Spinner baits ROCK !!! i dont think i have ever went out and said ok today i am going to target bass... I always just head out onto the lake and start chucking my spinnerbaits and i catch my share of bass pike and muskie.

Agreed with what people have said here.

Only thing besides your bass tackle that you'll need is a decent 6-7inch wire leader. Other then that, all your bass lures will work fine for pike (If you don't have a spinnerbait, get one :) )

My 2 cents about leader... BassPro has titan 30lb leaders. A bit expensive around 12$. But those leaders much thiner and more flexible than a regular steel ones. Or you can make your own from titanium leader wire. Pike spots your lure not your line when strikes so you do not have to use FC leader. And crimping titan is much easier job than tying large diameter FC leader (in term of the knot strength).

Edited by dim.

x-rap,or any other floating stck bait ,spinners topwater.i fish for pike every spring and one year it was so intense i tried every lure in my aresenol was able to get them to hit almost everything in the box they are eating machines.

Use a leader bigger then 40lbs. I have had a big pike shear clean through a 40 lb leader and It is not fun.

Now I use an 80lb Fluoro Musky leaader and Have hooked 4 fish (2 shook off) without a single nick in it.

As far as lures go, Minnowbaits work very well but never underestimate the power of the trusty old spoon.

Also consider large senko style baits.

RJ

I've had a pike bite thru 80 floro. It's the least I would go with the floro. Coated steel will work just fine but with the floro leaders you will avoid the kinks that you get with the steel leaders. Also DO NOT USE UNCOATED TITANIUM LEADERS!!! Pike will roll on ya and they cut right thru their skin!

As far as lures go you can't beat Huskie Jerks or X-rapps. Twitch, twitch, pause my friend.

Burning babies has a good point with the R bend spinners. I used to just slip a split ring over the little part the leader attaches to. (You can also just bend that part so that the two parts touch)

FHR

Edited by FishHeadRic