Shimano Reels

MCTFisher9120

Why is it that the prices for Shimano reels are so darn expensive. I know quality when i see it but many of their reels are very low on bearings. Do it matter with Shimano or is there a problem. I got one of the Bass Pro spinning reels and it had 8 bearings and was less than $75. I dont know i own a shimano reel but their prices for reels dont seem right. Any comments.

I know they are good reels but why are the bearings much lower compared to similar priced reels. I bought a bob izumi signature series rod and it came with the Shimano Sedona spinning reel witch is 4 bearings. Costed me $129.99, but a combo say from bass pro would have 8 or 10 bearings.

Just wondering if these reels are good long term with less bearings.

The quality of the manufacturing has a lot to do with it. Bearings mean absolutely nothing in most cases. Look at the diagram explosion see were the bearings actually are. Big freaking deal if the grip on your handle has two bearings.

Edited by Musky or Specks

Don`t get caught up or become overly impressed by the number of bearings a reel has, it seems to be a selling point that is very misleading.

The old Abu 5000-6000 series reels cast very well with just bronze bushings, the one way bearing is a nice improvement but quality and placement of the bearings is far more important.

Shimano controls their products pretty well, sales here seem to be set at one price for all stores, doesn`t seem to be much wiggle room for the retailer. A good product and in demand, why lower prices? They do have a rebate program going on some models till April 30th I believe.

Where you cast is usually a lot more important than distance.

What would people say for the second best reel company?

it's really personal preference ... some people might not think that shimano's the best ...

some say that you'll never have a problem with a daiwa or a shimano ... seems to be true for me so far

I think choosing a reel is all about personal choice,how it feels and looks to you. There are a lot of quality reels out there. Shimano makes some of them, but then, so does every other major manufacturer. They all make the whole spectrum, from junk to great. I am not loyal to any one brand, but more to the reel. For instance Abu Garcia's Record reel is a heck of a musky reel. Pfleugar's President baitcaster is a heck of bass reel. Team Diawa makes some really nice spinning reels,along with lots of others. Okuma V series for example....and on and on...

Shop for what you have confidence in.

I had a good conversation with a tackle store employee about bearings when deciding on a new reel. His point was that the quality of the parts and manufacturing mattered more than how many bearings a reel has. Made sense to me.

(And I bought a Shimano reel that didn't have lots of bearings)

Mike

Like others have said bearing don't mean too much for a couple of reasons.

If the bearings are not a good quality you can have 20 in a reel and in very little time it will feel like a bag of marbles. Shimano only uses sealed ARB bearings (anti rust) also the gearing is all cold forged which produces the most durable gears that make your reel feel like new 5 years from now. I have 3 Shimanos that I have put through hell and back again and they were bought in 1992, 1994 and 1995. That means a lot to me considering the amount that I fish. When you incorporate the longevity of the reel into the price they really are not expensive at all.

I paid $220 for a Chronarch that has lasted me 16 years... that's less than $14 per year for the reel. I spend more at Timmies in a week and that never catches me any fish!!!

Buy it once, own it forever... it holds so true with almost anything these days like rainsuits, graphs and boats... buying the best you can afford will always save you money in the long run.

JP

it's really personal preference ... some people might not think that shimano's the best ...

some say that you'll never have a problem with a daiwa or a shimano ... seems to be true for me so far

Performance wise Id agree I love some of my diawa reels to death. BUT and this is a big but, if things havent changed with the company in the time Ive been out of the tackle industry their service was sub par compared to Shimano.

I've got a Calcutta 251 which has only3 bearings I thnk. It's my favorite and most used reel by far!

I've become a big Quantum fan since I got an energy PTi, their $200 (tour PT) baitcasters are as good as any 300 shimano as far as im concerned!

Edited by mepps

Like mentioned above, the number of ball bearings doesnt necessarily reflect the quality of a fishing reel. some of very good spinning reels only have 5 or less ball bearings, like some of very good and proven trolling reels don't have more then 3 bearings,

the mention of higher number of ball bearings in lesser brand reels is a gimmick IMO, only to catch the fishermen.

some of Daiwa's less expensive reels have more ball bearings then their more expensive models, what does that tell you?

precision gearing, tighter tolerances and good quality components are the key.

You can buy a reel with 8 ball bearings at Walmart or CT for maybe $70. The Shimano Calcutta had 2 bearings for years. It's 3x as much as that 8 bearing reel at Cdn. Tire. Which one would you buy? It depends on what is important to you: quality or money. Usually you get what you pay for.

I had a good conversation with a tackle store employee about bearings when deciding on a new reel. His point was that the quality of the parts and manufacturing mattered more than how many bearings a reel has. Made sense to me.

(And I bought a Shimano reel that didn't have lots of bearings)

Yup same thing for me in Edmonton. I went to the Reel DR and he said number of Bearings is more Gimmick than quality. At the Time he figured the Quantum Energy reel was the best built Reel. That was abut four years ago. He also liked Shakesphere but said parts were hard to find.

Mike

Ditto on you get what you pay for. A reel that goes for $80 + will last you for years if you maintain it, and that's the key, keeping it clean and lubed and you'll have no problems.

The number of bearings is not as important as the quality of the bearings and gears.