Shimano Reels

MCTFisher9120

I'm a Shimano guy. I have tried numerous other brands over the years until I finally said enough is enough and Shimano became my standard. I typically purchase the Symetre's, but I have a Stradic and a couple Saharas as well. This year I'm trying the new 300 series Curado as my large baitcaster. Back in the 70's I used Daiwa almost exclusively and have no doubt they are an excelent reel- they certainly were then.

I can't speak for spinning reels since I don't have one new enough to know if they have bearings or not. However, since spinning reels don't have anything rotating at a high speed outside of giving a tighter smoother feel I don't think bearings have much to do with performance.

Baitcasters are a different animal since they do rotate at high speed but there too only the bearings on the shafts that rotate at high speed affect performance. In most BC reels bearings beyond 2 or maybe 3 affect only smoothness. Bearing quality has a great deal to do with function but I have never seen any statement of bearing quality from any reel manufacturer.

Bait caster reel bearings are shielded not sealed.

i love my shimano reels. I have had a symetre now for 17 years and its still in great working condition. I also have a calcutta and citca that are great reals and have not had any issues with. Worth every penny and you do get what you pay for.

ive owned a few shimanos in my time i must say they are probally one of the most durable long lasting reels around im still fishing an old bantam 2 bearing baitcaster about 10yrs old its not the smoothest anymore but still winches em in.recently ive started fishing pfluger reels resonably priced smooth and no problems after one very full season.

Guest lundboy

It has a lot to do with the tolerances in the gearing and design as well. Shimanos and Daiwas have been making reels to more exacting standards using better quality materials. Other manufacturers try to compensate for poorer quality and tolerances by throwing in more bearings.

I just hope now that Shimano's reels are made in Malaysia (2008 models), that the quality doesn't start to slip.

Edited by lundboy