Saturday Quinte Report

Headhunter

Got out for what will likely be my last kick at open water fishin on the Q, Saturday. Arrived at the ferry at 6:30am and on the water by 7:00am.

First fish of the day came within 100 yds of the ferry as we began trolling right from the launch. A nice 5-6 lber to start the day! This fish hit fairly high in the water colum. We decided to try a coupla rods high, but to no avail. It began to snow shortly after and it was another hour, before our second fish came to the boat. It was the only double digit fish of the day, a nice 11 lber.

WE ended up boating only 7 for the day, with most being very small by Quinte standards... three were under 2 lbs. (came home with one of the guys for a nice New Years meal!) Lead Core off of boards was the ticket, again.

We didn't mark nearly as many fish in the Reach as we did a coupla weeks ago and after making a quick run over to Thompson'sPoint, we found a few more fish there, but I think they were planning their New Years celebrations because they certainly weren't very interested in our precision tunned flashy plastic cranks! (Maybe Santa brought them nicer stuff for Xmas!)

Hind sight being 20/20, I think the majority of the fish moving in from the lake have already passed the Picton area, moving further up toward Belleville/Trenton. Had I known that before hand, I would have hit Big Bay! :unsure:

Definately saw Hamilton Steve out there, passed him as he was netting a fish. Thought I saw Tybo, but can't be sure... but it was definately his kind of weather! :w00t: Izumi was out there was well, saw his trucks at the Ferry launch and had a fairly large Triton pass between us and Steve, think it was Bob, don't know how he did.

No ice anywhere on the lower Q yesterday, not even in Picton harbour! Wind unfortunately was a non-factor, could have used a bit more chop! And the snow made for a refreshing change from the way too warm weather we've had this year.

Advice for anyone considering chasing eyes, you may want to consider Big Bay/ Trenton area to find better numbers. We didn't see much bait in the Reach at all, and we all know the bigguns stay with their food!

HH

Well 7 fish is 7 more than I caught because the boat never left it's spot in the garage.

Good shooting.

I would agree a majority of the big fish should be upstream of the ferry docks by now.

If weather permits boat fishing for the next week or two, I'd give the area from the entrance to Hay Bay (Sherman's Point) up towards Desoronto a try.

I've caught lots of smaller (eating size) fish at Belleville

this time of year with the odd big fish mixed in.

If you find the right school, no problem getting 20 or 30 in a day.

Lots of fun.

nice to 'see' ya out there HH. Glad to see you guys did pretty good. It was the toughest day i've fishing Quinte this year. (or i guess last year now)

We had a first timer on the boat, and managed his personal best.....which is great. we ended up going 7/7, all fish coming off body baits....

(shhhhhh on the leadcore)

Gotta love Quinte....i'll be up again next week.

Steve