2 weeks in Southwest Florida did include a bit of fishing :)

BillM

I gotta say I am glad to be back. I have never seen such horrible drivers in my entire life (And I drive the 400/401 daily). People ripping through yellow lights like you wouldn't believe. 60mph roads that allow u-turns, lol no wonder the US19 is one of the most dangerous roads in the US.

I did get some fishing in while I was down there.. Honeymoon Island State Park in Dunedin is such a nice place and has some good fishing holes. On one of the beaches you are within casting distance of a channel (Which is a rarity if you ocean fish, especially from shore). My dad and I had a good 3-4 days on the water while I was down there. Caught all kinds of things from ladyfish (poor mans tarpon), to sea trout (They call them speckled trout down here, still weirds me out), my first Pompano and my first Bonnethead shark!!!!

Got bit off a few times by bluefish. They bit through a 100lb flouro leader like it was nothing.. The ladyfish and the spanish mackerel also tend to fray up the flouro and you need to retie every hour or so if the fish are biting pretty good. On to the pics!

From the right: Sea trout, multiple whiteings and some Spanish Mackerel.

Florida_047.jpg

My dad holding a little BonnetHead Shark.

Florida_059.jpg

My first Shark! BonnetHead was about 35inches and about 10lbs.

Florida_265.jpg

Two decent Pompano's.

Florida_267.jpg

I am usually in Palm Harbor twice a year. US 19 is the worst highway I have ever driven on. My girlfriend and I couldn't get over how dents the cars have, its wild! How far from the main parking area did you have to walk when you were at Honeymoon island to get to the fishing area? Also what did you use for bait? When I was there in Feb. I drove up to Crystal River and went out for some redfish, had a great time.

Hey Mike, nice red in your avatar!!

The walk from the parking lot at Honeymoon to the fishing spot is about 5 mins at most. It's right were the dog beach stops and the normal beach begins.. You'll see people fishing and the channel, very easy to find, not hidden at all.. Directly to the left of the main washroom facility...

We used live shrimp(usually pinched in half) and 1/8 or 1/4 ounce DOA teardrop type jigs.. 2-3 quick rips along the bottom, then a pause... If the mackerel or ladyfish are in, it will barely touch the water before you get a strike. If the blues or jacks are in, good luck :) :) unless you have a wire leader, be prepared to go through an awful lot of jigs..

Also, dolphins are nice to see, but the fishing absolutely stops when they show up.

Looks like you had youself some pretty good fishing and a good time wth Dad. Thanks for sharing those pics and your trip with us!

I used to go to the southwest coast of Florida a lot back when my parents owned a home in North Port and I really enjoyed the fishing. From the piers to the rivers( brackish water ), you just never knew what you were going to hook into.

I remember most of all the fight of the saltwater fish. Those Jacks and Snappers would reeeeeeally test your gear!

That fish has a good story behind it.

It was the last cast before we were heading back to the dock and I got snagged. I was trying to get it off when all of the sudden the fish rolled on my bait and picked it clean off the rock. All I remember saying to my guide was "big fish" while I set the hook. Reds really fight hard!

Last time we went to Honeymoon I didn't see anyone fishing, I just figured you had to walk up a ways.

I'll know for next time. Did you try any other areas while you were in Florida?

Edited by Mike01

Mike, we also fished the river down at the Anclote power plant. Very brackish water and not much were biting. The trout were pretty much gone by then. My dad would usually fish the river earlier in the year, if it was on he'd limit out on trout in about 10 mins. Also schools of jacks did frequent the river when the plant was pumping out warm water compared to what was out in the ocean. Unfortunately, there had been a restriction at the plant, and they are only allowed to to pump out so much water at a time (Something about increasing the temp of the river mouth to much) It was really hit or miss after that.

I would have loved to get out on the flats for some reds and snook, but my dad has this fear about being out on the ocean in a boat (The last time he did on his honeymoon, he was sick for hours). It doesn't make much sense if you ask me, he has no problems out on Superior in 20ft swells, lol.

I also REALLY want to tie into a Tarpon, but without going out on the flats it is doubtful from shore.

Honeymoon Island...not the best of memories for us...after an afternoon of swimming and sunbathing I got hit on the foot by a stingray...Cripes that hurts...Went to a walk-in clinic and the first thing they asked was "how are you going to pay for this visit"...not how are you or what's the matter...LOL

After soaking my foot in very hot fresh water and antiseptic they sent us on our way...after ringing up $120 on the Mastercard...had taken out insurance so I got it all back after we got home...

I've had something similar happen to me. I was stung by a jelly fish, poured rum over the sting and then rubbed courtazone cream on it. Fixed me right up.

I have yet to catch a Tarpon also, Boca Grand pass is the place to go on the West Coast, Government Cut in Miami is also very good. I hooked up with one that was close to 200lbs, but I was using snook gear so i didn't stand a chance. I'm not to sure how he can go out on Superior and not the Gulf. I would rather be on the Ocean in rough water that a freezing cold Lake!

Beans, its funny you mentioned a ray. We saw quite a few, also we saw a few caught. I couldn't get over how much a saltwater fish fights compared to a similar sized freshwater fish. That shark I caught was tearing off 100yds of line at a time, it was a blast!! Even the little 1-2lb spanish mackerel would tear off line like you had no drag at all.

Mike, I watch the Pro Tarpon Tour on WFN and they are always down in Boca. Seem's like a funny way to fish for them, I think I'd rather sneak up on them in the flats with a flyrod compared to trying to land one in the packs of boats within inches of each other.

Edited by BillM

Yeah, the PTT is a little silly. Thats more just for show. I here there is decent tarpon in Tampa Bay as well. Not sure what time of year they are there but I would think you could get them year round. Where do you stay while you are there?

Gentleman when it comes to tarpon fishing from shore your thinking to big. I cant give away my spot but find the nursery habitat. I fish them with a six weight fly rod and catch all kinds of fish in the 3 -8 pound range the fight is all the same aas the bigger fish just takes less time.