sure sign of spring

tinbanger

I agree they put up a pretty good fight...but there's always something disheartening when you are fishing for steelhead, and a sucker ends up rearing it's head. Here's one I caught last weekend...my face isn't in the shot because I was crying at the time.....LOL.

cliffsucker.jpg

Wayne....I can see my report now....

Went sucker fishing and caught all these steelhead....maybe 10 minutes and the thread is locked?

Those fish made it north of the tracks to spawn...as far as I'm concerned it's a sanctuary for all fish until opener.

Oh, and I should add, keep a few suckers on a stringer in case a CO comes along so you can prove that you are fishing for suckers.

I think the idea crossed everybody's mind at one time or another !!! Ethically I don't think I could live with myself........if you get caught your more than likely to get fined for steelheading illegaly and end up wasting a whole days work in court fighting for your right to fish suckers !!! I can just picture the CO's face when you pull up the stringer of suckers :dunno:

Now that i think of it.......does anyone remember the show CANADIAN SPORTFISHING with Italo and Henry LOL !!!!! I can't beleive they both got the right to even get on TV again..

OK, I just got off the phone with a CO. He said that you are allowed to do it, but the onus is on you to prove that you are fishing for suckers and not steelhead. He said that you should be fine if you are not using a noodle rod or roe. Basically, if you use a 7 ft rod and worms, you should be able to prove to the satisfaction of a CO that you are in fact fishing for suckers. Ironically, he said to keep your suckers on a stringer for proof!

Also, check the regs for your zone to make sure that the area is not closed for fishing and that the area is not a sanctuary.

He said that there are people who fish for steelhead under the guise of fishing for suckers, but that there are also people who legitimately fish for suckers, which is perfectly fine.

Finally, he mentioned that should you happen to catch a steelhead, release it immediately.

So there you go. You can have the entire upper stretches of the creeks and rivers to yourself to enjoy some sucker fishing while you wait for opener!

DO NOT USE A NOODLE ROD OR ROE! USE WORMS!