New to Fishing Last Year

brooks999

I just found out last year that I actually enjoyed fishing.....I am an avid hunter and was told that the lake on the backside of our property had fish just never had the time nor inclination to head back there and wet a line.

WELL... I took my 4-wheeler back with a 15 yr old rod & reel with probably the line that came with it a hook and a worm and found LargeMouth Bass and other panfish.

I was there at least 5 days a week since finding it. It is only a 5 minute ride from my front door

I see Trout opens in a couple weeks but do not have a clue where I would find a "Trout" lake.....I would love to hear from some people around Peterborough/Cobourg/Belleville/Durham Region area to get some ideas as to where to go.

Thanks in advance

Steve

You've got lots of opportunity out there! If you have a boat, lakes just might be your thing for trout. If not, you'd be best to stick with river fishing. Check the regs for extended/year round open seasons for trout and salmon on some of the tribs that flow into Lake O out your way. The headwaters/tribs of those rivers should provide some resident trout fishing for you. Access is likely limited as it is all around southern ontario for resident trout waters. I wouldn't expect anyone to lead you to some of their prime trout streams.......just pull out a map and follow them rivers upstream!!! You've still got 2 weeks till opener to do a little exploring!!!

dave

Well, the tribs are a good place to start, just visit a few of them and look for anglers, watch, and ask questions. You could also try contacting MNR and get a list of all the stocked lakes and streams, that and a good map will give you plenty of opportunities and get you heading in the right direction.

Half the fun/adventure is finding your own fish. From what I've read on the board here people seem to be very protective of their Trout waters. Get out and do the leg work to find your own fish and then post your results here. You'll find people are more willing to share once they get to know you a little better.

Thanks for all of the advice. I have found a few places that I will hit.

What should I invest in, in the way of lures/bait.

I have a light spinning set up already.....

but only have Large Mouth Bass specific lures/plastics.

What would be the best way to empty my pockets ie what size of hook, lures, plastics, live bait, etc

Thanks Again

Thats a pretty broad question man! It really all depends on where you plan to focus your efforts. ie: lakes or streams, resident trout or migratory trout, cold or warm water fish.........the list could go on and on and on!!!

Have you thought about fly fishing at all??

With a light spinning rod, I'd keep it simple at first, a bunch of spinners (I prefer Mepps), some small jigs and hooks, plastic trout worms, nightcrawlers where allowed by the regs. Those will work on tribs as well as small lakes.

I've also caught trout casting or trolling small Rapalas or small spoons.

Good luck,

Mike

I enjoy fishing rivers and streams for trout, myself.

Typically, the browns and rainbows I fish for are resident fish and I target them throught the spring, summer and fall. The beauty of it is the simplicity. A pair of waders is almost essential. And a fishing vest to nicely store your hooks, lures, etc, is helpful as you go trekking through the bush and wading.

Basically, some smaller hooks and split shot to present your bait( crawlers are my favourite )is all you need. I also bring along a little box of small in-line spinners for the streams and rivers that allow me enough casting room.

Cast into the ripples, into the runs and into the pools. Try find a pattern, then repeat.

Simple as it gets.

As far as gear, I prefer my small 6-foot St. Croix Avid series rod( rated for 4 - 8 lb line ), spool up with some 6lb. test and I'm good to go. I usually go with a small, light action rod because in most cases, I'm fishing water with a lot of cover and bush, therefore not much casting room. Anything larger becomes a bit awkward. Keep in mind, though, some guys prefer longer rods because it allows them to reach over brush and obstuructions and dunk their presentations where they want.

Remember, this is for resident fish throughout the year, and not the way I'd go fishing the bigger lake run steelhead the guys are targeting now and on the opener.

Have yourself some fun, and congratz on finding that nice little bass river back of your property!

Thanks again, I have a few Mepps and maybe I'll pick up that "Trout Package" they have just for variety.

I have thought of Fly Fishing, was actually looking at set ups at BPS a few weeks ago, Just don't know if I want to invest in that yet.

Slippery Slope once I start looking at Fly Rods, then the dude tells me that Fly fishing for Bass is fun too.....I am thinking "Crap now I have to get a 5/6 rod and a 8/9 rod, different flies....." My bank card was starting to burn in my pocket.

The advice on rod size was great, I think for now I am going to look for a smaller rod, mate it to my Pflueger President and start there, with spinners, hooks and some plastic trout worms.

My wife and I are looking for a starter 14 - 16' Aluminum for this season, she discovered she enjoys fishing as well.

I will keep everyone updated. Thanks for all of thelp

Get two varieties of small spinners, gold and silver. Get some with dressed hooks (fur) and some without, as some days it makes all the difference one way or the other. Panther Martins are my favorite, but they aren't so durable in comparison to Mepps spinners.

Look into small spoons. 1 1/4" or smaller. Most days, I don't even touch my spinners as the spoons usually out fish them. Two colors to start are your basic Red Devil pattern and 5 diamonds. Classic lures that have been catching fish for years and still do to this day. Eventually you'll find what works for you in your area. Get some cheap spoons and paint them yourself with some nail polish, Dollarama is great for that. lol Experiment with some pinks, basic red, black or go crazy with the color.

Even experienced inland trout fishermen have to resort to bait sometimes. When I fish the inland creeks I rarely use a float, just some small split shots and a #12 or 14 hook. A natural drift along the bottom seems to work best.

Worms are great, proven bait. But don't forget there's a million other options. Small crayfish, sludge worms, crickets, grasshoppers and slugs are great trout bait. Occasionally, you'll entice a bigger trout to hit a small leopard frog. Of course make sure that it's all legal. Search under rocks at the creekside and you'll probably find enough bait for the day that will work 10x better than store bought worms.

When you get into it more and more, you'll start to find other baits like small crankbaits (I have a 2 inch Rebel that has saved the day on many occasions), crappie tubes and small grubs.

Good luck and don't forget we all love pics!

I have thought of Fly Fishing, was actually looking at set ups at BPS a few weeks ago, Just don't know if I want to invest in that yet.

Slippery Slope once I start looking at Fly Rods, then the dude tells me that Fly fishing for Bass is fun too.....I am thinking "Crap now I have to get a 5/6 rod and a 8/9 rod, different flies....." My bank card was starting to burn in my pocket.

Fly Fishing for anything is great man. For different situations, yeah you'd need a couple of different rods. I mainly use a 4wt and a 7wt. I have others, but I look at them as toys more less. 4wt gets me into resident trout, bass and pike in rivers, I guess really anything in rivers. My 7wt comes out for lake fishing for bass, pike, musky, carp etc.......as well as migratory species moving in from the lakes. Reels are a little different. I really focus on how much line/backing a reel will hold more than anything. Its really mostly a line holder, your palm can be used for drag effectively with a little practice....until you become addicted anyways. And, of course you can couple that with the fly tying addiction that soon follows the fly fishing addiction!!

Edited by fish_finder

I think I will leave learning Fly Fishing until next year maybe...I have no doubt that it will be fun. I think this year I will look for a few spots that have fish and also provide me with the P&Q that I need....

I already have a few spinners and spoons...typical Ontario tackle box, mepps, red devils, etc....

I picked up some Gulp Trout Dough in Orange...any word on this stuff?

Steve