Help with Aluminum - leaking

swahrer

Ahhhh Spring is in the air.....

I was wondering if I might get some suggestions on how to seal up some leaky rivots on my old 12Ft Aluminum. It seems to be across just one area of the boat, but I am starting to take on a little more water than I am comfortable with. Anything out there that is a quick fix?

Appreciate all the wisdom.

Fish ON!

Edited by Am'Bass'ador

#1 Buy rivets a drill bit and some seam sealer

#2 Find the leak

#3 Get a buddy

#4 Get Beer

#5 Get a punch a hammer and a dolly

#6 Spend 3 hours fixing your boat while enjoying beer with your buddy.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Did it last season pretty easy stuff.. job held up good and didn't look bad...no leaks.

You may rent an electric hammer to facilitate things.

Randy

:Gonefishing:

Hey

I was there last year!!!

the best and easy'est way is to pound them, One guy with a hammer and the other guy holding a hammer on the rivet as the other guy beats it. simple and easy, just dont miss......lol

two guys can redo every rivet in a few hrs and the boat will be leak free!

Last year try'ed the patch the weld and the goup, nothing beats the hammer for resetting a rivet!

now if you get a tear between rivet thats a hole new ballgame and you dont want to go there.

Rp

Got to do some work on mine this year, Wayne want to come fishing for a weekend and help me fix her up? I'll supply all the materials, beer and food and a place to stay!!!!!!!! Can't think of anyone on the board that has more experience with doing a good job on rivits!

If it's a area where you can't get at it from the inside because of a floor then here's what to do. Clean area around rivet with a solvent. Wire brush and or sand area around rivet and apply SILCONE caulking over and around the rivet. Let dry and your done.

I had to use the solid mandrel pop rivets last year because I couldn't get at the inside of the boat, you can rent or buy the little tool that pops them in from the outside and caked with the marine caulking before they went in the hole. They worked perfect, no more leaks, it's only been one season on them, only time will tell. :)

Edited by GbayGiant

If it's a area where you can't get at it from the inside because of a floor then here's what to do. Clean area around rivet with a solvent. Wire brush and or sand area around rivet and apply SILCONE caulking over and around the rivet. Let dry and your done.

I bet you use muffler tape on your car's exhaust pipe too. :whistling::D

I bet you use muffler tape on your car's exhaust pipe too. :whistling::D

NO not really. The last vehicle that developed a exhaust leak I just traded it on this little tow machine :thumbsup_anim:

Truck.jpg

Problem solved. See you don't have to do it the hard way all the time :rolleyes:

Got to do some work on mine this year, Wayne want to come fishing for a weekend and help me fix her up? I'll supply all the materials, beer and food and a place to stay!!!!!!!! Can't think of anyone on the board that has more experience with doing a good job on rivits!

Sorry Cliff.. I head north in.... 32 days... !! One customers airplane down.. four to go.. and then I can work on my own boat.

Am 'bass' ador... Like Rayfish says.. if you don't have the proper tools a couple ball peens will do the trick... although

nothing beats the hammer for resetting a rivet
I'd have to disagree with this one. Proper impact gun / rivet die and a bucking bar can't be beat!...but the hammers will get you on your way. Look for cracks between rivets as well. Popular on 12' tinny's that have seen some hard use.

If you have a air compressor I can drop over some time and help you reshot the rivets. If you don't have a compressor I'm sure I can borrow one. Let me know.

Do you know what size rivets, I'll grab some from work if you need any replaced.

Edited by yellowboat

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions, I am leaning towards the Duct Tape!! It is actually in a tricky spot, only accessible from underneath as there is a Arched plate on the inside that covers where the loose rivots are. Not very accessible from the inside.

If you have a air compressor I can drop over some time and help you reshot the rivets. If you don't have a compressor I'm sure I can borrow one. Let me know.

Do you know what size rivets, I'll grab some from work if you need any replaced.

Wow, that is very kind of you. I have the boat in storage up north right now but plan to bring it down to the city soon. I really appreciate your offer, and may take you up on it. I can get a compressor for sure. I take it you like your beer.... cold and wet??

Thanks again to all!

Just watch the part about he can't access the leakers because they are under a rib/plate. Maybe take a picture to see if you can get a bucking bar in there... may need to go with "tank" style blind rivets in those spots.

Edited by irishfield