North West Ontario Ice Pickeral

tbayboy

Spending the holidays back home with family is all well and good but after several straight turkey dinners and a few too many screaming babies me and some friends decided we needed a break and with the weather up here being unseasonably warm what better way to slip away for a few hours than heading out onto the ice!

Got to the point at about 10ish in the morning and certainly weren't alone:

337926496_f52342c8c5.jpg

My buddy pulled out his trusty 300 year old auger which promptly died after doing 3 holes:

337927175_12dc451e81.jpg

Luckily the guys near us lent us their manual one, even more luckily the ice was only 14 inches thick and the holes popped pretty easily (still gonna feel it in my arms tommorow I'm sure)

After a little while we managed to pull in a few for the skillet, here's yours truly with my lucky hat (aint that the ugliest hat ever!)

337926581_5daa7142ec.jpg

As the afternoon wore on the early wake up call combined with all the holiday feasting proved too much for some of us:

337927485_d5a28637d7.jpg

337927554_6f45b6d1ac.jpg

In fact at some point I think one of the guys fell in, damned if we knew where he was:

337927323_486ccf6a01.jpg

Around 3pm we decided to call it a day, everyone had caught at least a couple except for one of the guys who had lost at least a half dozen (but he insists it had nothing to do with his hook sets) when suddenly his line nearly tore his arm out of his socket, a mighty struggle followed and this resulted:

337926931_57d8e62dae.jpg

Yep, it was time to go home :w00t:

I love coming home and visiting family but boy does spending time with your buds on the ice making complete fools of yourselves ever make for real holiday spirit.

Best of the season to all the OFNers, hopefully I can hit some ice back home (markham) in the new year. Have fun at the swill tonight :)

PS: all photos at Flickr

Edited by TbayBoy

Hey Tjsa, figured you might know that spot :), not exactly a secret spot up here but hey, plenty to go around today it seemed (nothing terribly huge, just some decent eaters). In shallow the ice was was pretty deep, even at our last holes in 35 feet of water it was a good 8 or 9 inches but I'm an ice newbie (hang my head in shame being from Thunder Bay and only have ice fished a handful of times) so maybe I just didn't read the depth well looking down the holes. There were several guys dragging gear out to the islands in pickups so I guess they figured it was safe (no way I'd have gone that far out in a truck but they made it back).

Hey Tjsa, figured you might know that spot :), not exactly a secret spot up here but hey, plenty to go around today it seemed (nothing terribly huge, just some decent eaters). In shallow the ice was was pretty deep, even at our last holes in 35 feet of water it was a good 8 or 9 inches but I'm an ice newbie (hang my head in shame being from Thunder Bay and only have ice fished a handful of times) so maybe I just didn't read the depth well looking down the holes. There were several guys dragging gear out to the islands in pickups so I guess they figured it was safe (no way I'd have gone that far out in a truck but they made it back).

Yeah, I know guys are driving their trucks out on some lakes, but not me, no way. I went really, really slow last weekend on my quad, looking for soft areas(in the dark :lol: ) but no way am I gonna chance it in a truck. Probably will not take the chance at all this year.

Snowmobiles are so much easier, and safer, but without the creature comforts.

Gonna walk up a big hill into a speck lake tomorrow, hope to have a report late tomorrow or early sunday morning.

p.s............why are some of those guys lying down on the ice???? did they slip or something???? If they did, I would think it is rather cruel of you to take pictures of them in their time of need :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oooooooooooooo WOW!!! A frozen wasteland!!! I love that ice fishin' stuff!... and I was s'posed to be in Canada all this week and there was s'posed to be safe ice for me to fish on... but struck out on both accounts (hanging head and weeping in self pity). Oh well, there's always the Nip trip to look forward to.... and it'll prolly be colder'n a Witches boobie this comin' June (with my luck)... maybe even still some safe ice around. :w00t: