This new animal cruelty bill could be really bad for us fishing folks

Hi All,

I had this emailed to me and it looks like they are trying to pass a bill that would make killing an animal or fish illegal even if it dies accidental.

Holy ____ that would serious put a damper on fishing in this country!!!!!

Please read!

http://www.csia.ca/media/FEDERAL_ANIMAL_CR...LEGISLATION.pdf

Sick is an understatement, this is just downright ridiculous. Whats next? haha this is just too much. The Generation that is at its peak right now (no offense to anyone whos in this generation, its not directed at you) has made some of the worst calls that will ever be made. I will just sit back and laugh at this.

I think that the next time the Animal Alliance or P3TA has a rally or protest, we should make it a point to attend with our BBQ's, burgers, hot dogs, and fish.

This kind of stuff makes me sick.

I will bring some Moose and Elk burgers.

Federal Parliament Vote Friday Is Critical For Anglers

Join Us for a National Anglers "Phone Your MP" Day

A vote scheduled for Friday in the House of Commons on federal animal cruelty legislation (Bill S 203) will be critical for people who fish and hunt. S-203 protects anglers and hunters and other traditional animal uses while significantly increasing fines and penalties for wanton animal abuses.

The US based animal rights groups like the International Fund for Animal Welfare and others are mounting a full scale effort against this legislation. For ten years they have aggressively supported alternative legislation (C-373) which would make it a crime to kill a fish or a deer, even if the animal dies immediately. Extensive legal opinion obtained by the CSIA from the firm of Lang Michener confirms these threats to our traditional outdoor heritage activities. A fishing license affords no legal protection for killing a fish.

In recent days the animal rights groups have mounted a last minute 'blitz' in the press and in Ottawa against S-203, and against legal protection for fishing and hunting. These are the same groups who led the campaign to ban spring bear hunting in Ontario and they are out to make it a crime to take your kids fishing.

Federal Members of Parliament need to hear TODAY from all of us who value our right to fish.

Call your MP's office right now and tell them you vote, and you want them to vote IN FAVOR of Bill S-203. Please click here to find the listing for your MP's phone number, or check your local telephone directory.

Stand up for our freedom to fish along with the other eight million Canadians who enjoy a day on the water - before the animal rights people make it a crime.

Sick is an understatement, this is just downright ridiculous. Whats next? haha this is just too much. The Generation that is at its peak right now (no offense to anyone whos in this generation, its not directed at you) has made some of the worst calls that will ever be made. I will just sit back and laugh at this.

I agree 100%, Diversity Training, Bringing up a conversation joking about homos sixteen years ago as front Page news, Can't mention the word Christmas, Called a racist because you choose Canadians first, P3TA, A government Bent on Separating, and now fishing being evil. Bow down and be Domicile like your stupid COW

Remember, every time you sign a petition to ban something, be it smoking laws, light bulbs, pit bulls, spear fishing or any other petition, eventually someone will be banning your activities. So many are so willing to take the fight for what they believe in, even if that means stomping on other people's rights. We've made criminals out of almost everyone.

I am going to take a contrary view.

Hopefully everyone can pull their head out of their :asshat: long enough to understand the full context of the Bill.

The bills primary objective is to deal with cruel and brutal treatment of domestic animals and/or cruel and unusal treatment of live stock. Is there anyone herethat can say that a pet owner should have the right to beat, abuse or otherwise mistreat their dog or cat?

Instead of everyone jumpig all over the vagueness of the langauge, which could, bite us in the ass. Would it not be more productive to call your MP and ask that the wording be tightened up or changed to protect our fishing and hunting rights?

Also why you are at it, you might as well call your MPP and do the same, as The Ontario Humae Society has a similar bill before the House in Toronto.

So my conclusion is this -

The broad strokes of the Bill are good for domestic animals.

The wording of the bill needs to be changed to protect our enjoyment of the outdoors.

By throwing out the bill we will be doing our pets a great dis service.

It would probably be helpful if we read the entire bill instead of some lobbyists perspective. Isn't this the complaint that we have with the P3TA peckers!

It would probably be helpful if we read the entire bill instead of some lobbyists perspective.

I actually was reading the bills when you posted this. Here are the links for anyone else who's interested:

Bill C-373 (the "bad" one) in a side-by-side bilingual version.

Bill S-213 (the "good" one) is easier to read.

Criminal Code sections 444 through 447, the current version (what C-373 and S-213 want to replace).

I did a little research this morning on this issue on the House of Commons web site. In particular I was reading minutes of committee meetings on Bill S-203. My conclusion is that Bill S-203, if passed, would be inadequate to appropriately address those who are cruel to animals. Indeed, under the proposed S-203, the Atlanta Falcons quarterback (Vick) would not be prosecuted here in Canada for his offence against animals. Bill C-373 appears to have more teeth and to be more capable to address cruelty to animals. Unfortunately, C-373 doesn't explicitly exempt anglers and hunters and therein lies the problem. Mark Holland, MP for Ajax-Pickering, is sponsoring C-373. If interested, you can read some of Mark Holland's views on this issue in his fall 2007 newsletter to his constituents - see http://www.markholland.ca/pdfs/fall2007.pdf

The wording seams clear to me " without lawful excuse"

A hunting, fishing, or trapping licence allows the individual to pursue these lawful activities, but it does and should not authorize animal cruelty.

I see nothing wrong with this bill and if it helps get convictions like those guys that tied a dog to a tree and beat it to death , but got off because their lawers proved it died with the first blow of the hammer and so they killed it humanly ???

"My bill, however, has consistently been opposed by several hunting

organizations that fear, incorrectly, that it will interfere with their activities.

In particular, they object to part of C-373 that would make it an offence to

kill an animal, or allow it to be killed, “brutally or viciously.” Nothing in

my bill would interfere with responsible hunters who use guns or bows in a

lawful manner, so it’s a mystery to me why these groups feel the need to

kill animals “brutally or viciously.”

The hunting groups and some animal industry groups are supporting a

rival bill, S-213, introduced by Senator John Bryden, which is opposed by..."

This is a quote from the Liberal MP supporting the bill....

All I would like to add, if it does not affect hunters and fisherman who are legally enjoying the sport, then put it in the bill and gain some support from the people who hunt and fish.

Clearly neither bill has anything to do with legally fishing and hunting.

This sort of thing always gets blown out of proportion!

All I would like to add, if it does not affect hunters and fisherman who are legally enjoying the sport, then put it in the bill and gain some support from the people who hunt and fish.

well said!

Edited by fish_finder

The problem with C-373 is that while its language may seem innocuous, it lets itself open to some "anti" minded judge at some point interpreting normal fishing and hunting practices as being cruel and illegal. Then it cold create problems for hunters and fishers. Any act must clearly specify that it is intended to ensure the welfare of any animal normally under the control and care of humans. It must exclude any animal that is captured or harvested from the wild.

S-213 just aims to update the penalties for cruelty which I think we all agree are antiquated as they stem from the early 1900's.

Edited by Tootsie II

Guest lundboy

Then does the question become what constitutes cruelty and or who decides what is cruelty?

I see a huge hole in which someone hunting or fishing could be accused of cruelty by someone that sees any action against an animal wild or domestic as being cruel and in-humane, be they an activist, a judge or a citizen.

That's a huge exposure, and leaves the door open for even further legislation to tighten the noose, depending on the power of the lobby groups involved.

Even if this bill does not pass, it will come back in another form, or pieced out and buried in other legislation. It is a UNESCO directive to put in place measures that will restrict fishing and hunting, and access to public lands.

Edited by lundboy

Then does the question become what constitutes cruelty and or who decides what is cruelty?

I see a huge hole in which someone hunting or fishing could be accused of cruelty by someone that sees any action against an animal wild or domestic as being cruel and in-humane, be they an activist, a judge or a citizen.

That's a huge exposure, and leaves the door open for even further legislation to tighten the noose, depending on the power of the lobby groups involved.

Even if this bill does not pass, it will come back in another form, or pieced out and buried in other legislation. It is a UNESCO directive to put in place measures that will restrict fishing and hunting, and access to public lands.

Just a quick question....

Is UNESCO controlled by the Illuminati?

Guest lundboy
Just a quick question....

Is UNESCO controlled by the Illuminati?

You know what? Maybe you should Google it and find out.

Maybe you'll learn something about UN directives.

Try starting with Agenda 21

Edited by lundboy

Guest lundboy
I did....

http://www.unesco.org/

I just didn't see the Illuminati advertising on the page...it was just a question

Then obviously the "illuminati" aren't involved.

Doesn't mean Agenda 21 and UNESCO don't exist and aren't playing a role.

But it does give you an instant reason to dismiss the point without further research.

Edited by lundboy

Sorry, just buting your nuts.

Don't doubt that there are some power hungry people out there, just don' see that they could organize this on a global scal with minimal leakage to the media.

No, I do not believe that every media outlet in the world, except Alex Jones, are involved in the cover up.

Nor do I doubt that Bohemien Grove exists, or the VanderBergers's, or The Club of Rome, the last two are very powerful people puhing thier own agenda and trying to sway influence over government and business.

FYI this has been happening since time and memorial