Fresh Fish

I would try my best to not let it sit for more then 24 hours.... but that is just my opinion. I do the same with my meats.. if I do not intend to eat it that day I will freeze it... I am a stickler when it comes to meats and their handling.

G

Well i left it in my g.f's fridge and the second day she threw it in the freezer because she thought it was turning. I remember when i worked at food basics in the meat deptartment we would get fresh fish in , and it would be on the shelves until the day after the expiry date at a reduced price so the shelf life there could easily be a week or a bit more maybe :blink: By the way what would anybody recomend for a seasoning for crappie, i would like to pan fry it rather then deep fry...even though i know deep fried is delicious.

By the way what would anybody recomend for a seasoning for crappie, i would like to pan fry it rather then deep fry...even though i know deep fried is delicious.

Try Original flavour Fish Crisp. It does not overpower the delicate taste of Crappie.

I have kept fish in the fridge up to 4 days and never got sick from it ..

FRESHLY CLEANED fish, free of water, placed in COLD area, will be good for about 4 or 5 days. Last a bit longer if salted. Keep them DRY all the time. It's hard to do it in summer though.

These are the best answers. Most fish has good shelf life due to lack of blood.

Being a chef i've learned this over many years.

There is a huge difference between fish cooked fresh as opposed to frozen/ thawed then cooked.

Fresh is obviously the best.

ehg

If you have to store fish in the fridge, plastic is Bad. It speeds the deterioration of the flesh. In a glass or stainless bowl, covered with plastic wrap, you'll be good for 5 days. Dont let the plastic wrap touch the fish.

I used to work in a fish plant, supplying Sobey's, Loblaws, Costco, and about 200 restaurants. We would sometimes warehouse the fish for up to three days before shipping, Then they put it on their counter for up to 5 days. This is not including the 2-3 days from the ocean/lake to our warehouse.

Give it a rinse under cold water before cooking, and you shold be fine!!

It will last at least 24 hours in the fridge ... and longer if the door is closed ... even longer if the power is on and the frige is functional....

Much less is you have teenagers and the fish has already been cooked :)