Wild Turkey Hunters Course

fishinfool

I took the course yesterday in Barrie with a friend.

I couldn't believe how many people were at this course, there were at least 300 people there.

The course content was great for me because I had no idea about hunting Wild Turkey.

All day during the course, the trainers kept alluding to the fact that we would very likely not get a bird for the first couple of years and if we did that we would have to be very lucky.

We learned about locating, calling and setting up to hunt these wily birds.

Deer Hunting took me a couple of years to get the feel for how the deer move and their patterns and I expect it may take even longer by the sounds of things to get onto these Wild Turkeys.

I hunt deer every year now and usually harvest one annually, but it took a while.

I bought a couple of things at the seminar yesterday, they had a supplier set up in the back of the class.

I got a pair of camo hunting gloves, mask and mouth calls plus I bought a decoy hen to start.

If anyone here hunts Wild Turkey and has any advice or tips on where to start (I don't mean locations) please feel free to post away, I can use all the help you've got. LOL

Thanks in advance

Stan

my first year out i bagged a 20lb, 10" beard and 1 1/4" spurs :thumbsup_anim:

it isnt that difficult if you are use to hunting game where stealth and calling is critical. when a tom is on fire you could probably just yell "get over here" and he will gobble and waltz right in to any have decent yelping and purring. but then there are the days where you cant even get a gobble outta one and you work all day just to see squirrels jumping around.

thats what makes it hunting, not shooting.

this year i plan on using my 12 gauge for the first bird just to get some meat and my crossbow for a big ol tom.

I was kinda hoping that I would hear from someone that it's not that hard.

How long have you been hunting them?

I hear it's really tough to get them with a shotgun let alone a crossbow!

They told us if you don't blast em good, they just fly off with no blood trail or anything to track.

Am I correct in my thinking that there is a spring and fall hunt and you are allowed two birds per hunt or only two birds for the season?

They didn't get into much about the bag limits or maybe I was sleeping during that part.

We were at Lynde shores conservation area about two weeks back and had three come up to us for food... doesn't sound like it would be too hard... they were about two feet away from my boy.. beautiful copper coloured feathers and cool beards.

turkey.jpg

I just recieved my Turkey certification last year, and havn't been out yet. But i have some permission this year, and hope to get into a bird beofre i head north. My friend who's last year was also his 1st shot his a nice bird.

A wounded turkey is almost impossible to find. My cousin hunts them with a bow and has hammered a few over the 20 lb mark. 2 years a got he got a hit and the turkey flew off the lengh of the field. He went home and got his dog, they went back and found it dead in a thicket. Shot placement is critical.

Keep us posted on how you do this year. I'd like to know.

-R

Hey fishingfool, do your homework and scout the areas out that you are hunting and finding them will be easier than you think. Just like deer look for the signs, tracks, scratching, dust baths holes (when the area drys up), roosting trees (you will see poop all over the limbs and floor)

You are only alowed to shoot 1 Turkey per day, with the total of two birds.

As for shooting them, with a bow you NEED to hit them it he right spot or you will not find them. With the gun I have never had a problem, most of my shots have been 5 yrds to 30yrds.

Make sure to pattern you shotgun BEFORE you go in to the woods, so you know your kill range best for your gun and load.

My first year I got a beauty 23lb 10" beard, bigginers luck I guess. Year before last I got a 22lbs with a 11" beard, those are my two best to date.

Good luck out there.

Thanks to all of you that have replied.

I am starting to feel like maybe I can get one this year after all.

I have permission on a chunk of land where I have seen many of them so it's just a case of setting up and getting them to come in to me.

I will definitely keep all informed of how I do and thanks again for all the positive comments, keep em coming.

Stan

Here is some more info for anyone who may be interested.

http://www.ofah.org/hunting/index.cfm?ID=12

Edited by fishinfool

I was kinda hoping that I would hear from someone that it's not that hard.

How long have you been hunting them?

I hear it's really tough to get them with a shotgun let alone a crossbow!

They told us if you don't blast em good, they just fly off with no blood trail or anything to track.

Am I correct in my thinking that there is a spring and fall hunt and you are allowed two birds per hunt or only two birds for the season?

They didn't get into much about the bag limits or maybe I was sleeping during that part.

you are allowed to bag 2 birds each season but not on the same day. i believe this is the first year they will be offering a fall hunt for turkey so im not sure how its going to work.

ive been hunting them for 6 years or so and have bagged one each season. get yourself a good waterproof box call and some diaphragm calls and just practices while you are sitting watching tv or something. it will drive your family nuts but they will forgive you when they are eating a nice juicy turkey that was deep fried in peanut oil :thumbsup_anim:

with a crossbow that is as accurate as mine (excalibur exomax) it isnt too difficult to hit small targets. just ask the many rabbits and squirrels ive taken out to 40 yards with headshots...lol. when bowhunting turkey you should use a zwickey grappler or similar to keep the arrow in the bird to make it difficult for them to fly. you will get light blood trail from an arrow, not a shotgun.

if you have some buddies who are turkey hunting as well, get each to buy a different type of shell so you guys can trade shells to see what patterns best in each persons gun. load A may pattern nice and tight in your gun but have a pattern full of holes in your buddies gun. the same can sometimes be said for the same year and model of shotgun...

I have to admit,even though I dont have the bug for fishing,I am looking forward to my 4th yr (turkeyless I must add) turkey season. With the word of a fall hunt,Im more confident of getting one then, then in the spring. They are always walking under my deer stand. An added bonus this season is,the land owner planted corn and there seems to be a good number of birds this year. I have a group of about 40 right now. Good mix of young jakes,hens with 3 huge toms. I just may get my first this year. Thats if I can get away from the working thing. :wallbash:

Best of luck to you.

It's really not that hard at all, just drive down any country road in this area about an hour after sunrise and you are almost certian to see a flock or two of them.

Now vehicle wheel placement and throttle controle are critical in these situations, you want to make sure you straddle the bird and not let him get off the ground (20 lbs of turkey @ 80-100 km/h can really mess up a rad), a good head shot with the bumper is usually sufficent and if you roll him right you can save yourself a lot of plucking.

Or, you can go sit in the bush, and hope you are smarter than a Tom. Good luck and enjoy!

It's really not that hard at all, just drive down any country road in this area about an hour after sunrise and you are almost certian to see a flock or two of them.

Now vehicle wheel placement and throttle controle are critical in these situations, you want to make sure you straddle the bird and not let him get off the ground (20 lbs of turkey @ 80-100 km/h can really mess up a rad), a good head shot with the bumper is usually sufficent and if you roll him right you can save yourself a lot of plucking.

Or, you can go sit in the bush, and hope you are smarter than a Tom. Good luck and enjoy!

What was that comment you made about

'Comedians being out of a job" :thumbsup_anim::lol::lol:

I think I will opt to sit in the bush instead of the ramming thing, cherish my truck just a little too much...

Hope you all get a nice big Tom this year and I will keep you informed with pics whether I get one or not.

Thanks to all who responded.