Stuck Nut..NF

livinisfishin

Hey Guys

The weather is so nice out and i want to go skateboarding...i go to change my wheels on my board and the last wheel will not come off. I was able to loosen the nut to a certain point, and all i can get it to do is turn right and left, but it will not tighten or loosen, it is stuck on the bolt. I really need to get this wheel off, can anybody give me some ideas on how to loosen that nut? Thanks

Jason

If you can't get at it with a torch for some reason, give it a good soaking with penetrating oil and see if that will help. There is a tool called a nut splitter that you should be able to pick up at CTC or a hammer and chisel. Take a hacksaw and cut through the nut try not to mess up the threads on the bolt if you need to keep it.

As said previously a stuck nut can be removed by heating it with a torch. this will cause the metals to expand and break the "seal" so-to-speak, then you twist it off normally. If that doesnt work or you dont have a torch tapping it with a hammer can help to un stuck it. Also if you get a piece of pipe and slide it onto the end of your wrench you can gain more leverage which should halp to twist it off too. Oiling it for a few days can help too. if all else fails then it's time for the grinder!

Without seeing it my guess too Wayne. Don`t know anything about skateboards, not recommended for disabled FF`s. Is there a bolt that actually is the axle or is it a molded one? Stripped threads in a spot might required a bit of backyard mechanic work if it is going to interfer with a new one.

Vise or clamp it to something would be my advise and a Dremel with a cut off wheel, chinese? probably cheap steel, easy to cut. Nut splitters are available at Sears hardware stores here. Small nut like 9 or 10 mm?

From the picture it looks like a cast aluminum axle assembly, the bolt might not be an actual bolt but part of the axle. Not a lot of room to work there, can you get a very small drill and try drilling thru the wall of the nut to weaken it, if weakened enough you may be able to split it with a small chisel.

You might be able to space out the damaged threads using washers to fill in the gap, gotta watch for slop though. Pricey item? Maybe a new axle assembly?

Yeah its all one piece, called a truck. The threaded rod you see is molded right into the main piece. I pretty much am going to have to drill into it, or weaken it somehow. It really probably is simple, its just im limited to tools at the moment, socet set and wrenches. Im at the girlfriends house and i havent brought my stuff here.

Are the threads ok on the truck end?

If they look OK, the nut threads are stripped,and your gonna have to split the nut to get it off. Be careful you don't wreck the threads on the truck. Get a drill and drill the side of the nut to weaken it, then wrestle with it to get it off.

I bet you wish you'd of just left it alone eh......LOL.

Sinker

With out proper tools you might want to find something else to do, the bearing surface and what appears to be a bolt are just machined surfaces on a casting or forging. If it is spinning the threads are history, especially with a steel nut on aluminum. Thread cutter might refresh the threads but probably not enough for a good lock and you don`t want to take a chance at busting an ankle or leg because it comes loose.

Might be time for a new board?

Try to get a little pressure on that nut from the back (a pair of curved needle nose pliars might do it) or put some pressure on the back of the wheel so that it pushes against the nut then try turning it off and hope you can catch some thread, might just do the trick and it can't do any harm.

If you could somehow get some upward pressure on the nut (pry somehow with screwdriver,etc) and turn at the same time, the threads on the nut may grab fresh thread on the truck.

Your threads on the truck are probably screwed, so a new truck will be in order.

Save yourself a bunch of time and just go get new truck now.

Typing same time as Big Cliff LOL

Edited by nofish4me

Sorry to hear that ohiofisherman! Luckily i spend most of my time fishing over skateboarding! Well guys i got that nut off!! I used a flat head scredriver behind the wheel(because i had a little bit of play there) so i propped it up and with the pressure of that while i turned i was albe to force it up and off! Thanks to you guys i can now skateboard! One more problem, the skateshop was closed so i cant get four new nuts for the wheels because i dont want to have that problem again, i went up to home depot to buy a few, size i got was one to small and the next size up the nuts are way to thick to even throw on so guess i dont get to go out today after all and tomorrow im in the shop at school all day! Anyways thanks again ! This site really is unbelievable.

Jason

Just my experience with the nylock nuts is they make them in different heights, you might have to go to a specialty bolt place to find them though. Also some sizes of the nuts, metric and inch are pretty close but the threads can be damaged by trying to force one type on another. They should run on pretty easily until they hit the nylon insert in the nut.

Thanks for the thoughts, 4 kids, it`s always something, even with the adult ones.