Why steelhead roe?

silverstreak

Why use any roe? Looks like they bite little jigs pretty good.

They do - but when roe is on, you wish you had a few with... I used steelhead row for the first time last year - didn't notice a difference from salmon eggs. But I generally suck donkey balls at drift fishing so don't use my experience as any liptmus test.

I use salmon eggs most of the time and do great on them. But a lot of people I talk to swear rainbow eggs work better in the spring, even early, way before the spawn. I used to think they where full of crap. But then I read that there are two different strains of steelhead around here, spring run, witch only run in the spring, and fall run, witch only run fall-winter. Therefor, spring run fish have never naturally come across salmon eggs. I am starting to believe it could make a difference, at least some days.

Why use steelhead roe (have to kill fish) when salmon roe works just as well.

Been using it for 2 decades and no complaints.

Excuse my ignorance, but why does getting the roe from a steelhead kill it but not a salmon?!? :dunno:

Fella's

Not trying to stir the pot whatsoever.

Infact I use artificials 90 % of the time.

Salmon are a put and take fishery.

Just sayin that steelhead are not stocked in the East( wild population)

Our steelhead fishery has declined steadily since the mid 80's

Anyone here remember the 18,ooo steelhead that passed through the Corbet fish ladder during those peak steelheading yrs?

We are lucky to see 4 to 5 thousand steelhead there now.

By using Salmon roe(salmon are stocked) we take pressure off the wild steelhead population.

Not saying to never keep another steelhead just trying to give alternatives so we can have the best of both worlds.

Peace.

No, I have seen folks gently run their hand down the length of the fish, a motion some fisher women might be familiar with already. The fresh roe pops out the vent, what she was going to do anyway, and the hen swims away much relieved.

Not at all necessary to kill the hen while retaining some roe.

I don't use much roe but when I do, I get 1 small container of loose salmon roe from the tackle shop which usually lasts me a season (1 season being spring, winter OR fall) - I usually spend about $10-15 on roe per year . I haven't found a difference in catch rates between salmon, steelhead or croaker (farm raised trout) roe.

As far as stripping trout & salmon of their spawn and then releasing it, here's what 1 MNR representative had to say about it (Note regs might have changed within the last 8 years so best to contact them):

Question 125:

Regarding the collection of trout/salmon roe for personal use as bait. Is it legal to partially "strip" a female salmon or trout of roe then return the fish to the river, providing the fish has been caught legally? It seems that this activity would fall under molesting or harrassing the fish but the alternative, killing the fish for the eggs, seems even worse.

Asked June 28/00

Answer from the MNR

There is nothing in the Fisheries Act or the Ontario Fishery Regulations which prohibits this particular activity. Personally, if I was taken out of my natural elements and stripped of my eggs, chances are I would consider myself molested!! On the other hand, there is no provision in the law with regard to molesting or harassing fish. However, you should be aware that chances are that such a fish, after the handling is likely going to die anyway.

That being said, eggs, by definition, are fish. While we have never limited the number of roe sacs which one may possess from legally taken fish, when you handle the fish as you have indicated that fish is deemed to be 'captured and retained'. Therefore each fish that you perform this activity upon would be considered part of your daily limit.

http://www.outdoorontario.net/AskMNR/mnrfaqfish.html

I don't like harvesting any fish unless I plan to eat them (Just my own personal values). Steelhead and salmon from Lake O don't appeal to my palate. Today steelheaders have the options to use all sorts of baits, lures and flies along with spawn and by using only 1 type of bait (or technique), you're really missing out on some great action.