shimano crestfire vs. abu garcia 6500c3

bow slayer

It depends on what you plan on using the reel for. The Shimano is a low profile and won't hold as much line (of a given lb test). If all your doing is casting and fishing shallowish for small to mid size pike and smaller fish it's probably fine. The Abu holds more line and is more suited to larger fish, larger water and trolling.

My two cents. Hope it helps.

The Crestfire is a cheap plastic reel that lacks most of the standard features found on other Shimano reels.

It has magnetic backlash control, that works okay, but not great.

There are many plastic parts inside.

The Abu is a 55 year old design, but it is a solid reel. Abu's need the worm gear and the pall that drive their level wind oiled regularly.

There is no thumb bar, the spool release is a metal tab on the frame, so casting is a two handed operation.

The Abu's frame is made up of several pieces held together by small screws and threaded rods, so the frame isn't as stiff as one piece designs.

Being such an old design, the reel feels too tall on the rod to people who are used to more modern designs.

The 6500 is the wide spool model and feels awkward on top of bass rods, in my opinion.

On a musky or trolling rod they feel fine...There also hold about a mile of line, because of the small arbor on the spool.

I once made the mistake of having a 6500C3 filled with Fireline from a bulk spool...The line cost me as much as the reel...HAHAHA

There is minimal backlash adjustment.

Having said this it is still a very good reel for the money.

Even though I am a big Shimano fan, I would choose the 6500C3 over the Crestfire anytime.

Edited by garry2rs

I have had one of the "new" Crestfires going on 3 years now and I love it. Great reel for the price. Works great still smooth after a ton of spinnerbait casting and cranking.

It is strictly a bass or small pike reel however and I would never trust it to hold up to anything larger, like trophy pike or musky.

You're kinda comparing apples to oranges. The C3 is a great musky reel, but probably won't last you forever.

Edited by Rich

I got the Crestfire as my first baitcast reel 2 years ago. It is alright. I have had no problems with it bringing in 36" pike. I have a couple of other reels that I like better, which is a good thing because they cost more, but I won't stop using the Crestfire.

I just picked up an Abu 6500 at the CTC sale as well. This is going to be my musky reel and dedicated trolling reel, until it burns out.

You can cast with the Crestfire all day, nice and light compared to the Abu.

For the price on them, you can't really go wrong.

Bass Masters magazine did an article this month on cheap reels...that work!

They mention the Daiwa Exceler as being a best buy at $69.99 US.

BPS doesn't show this reel in their catalog, but it's available from Cabelas.

Cabelas also offers it as part of a combo at $129.98.

If you're interested PM me, I have to pass a Cabelas store on my way home in a few weeks...

Garry2rs