A report, buy sorry, no pictures

tjsa

Sorry, no photos, didn't take any, unusual for me.

We went after walleye to a lake north of us.

We set up off a point in 12 ft. of water, and I had a hit within 10 min. Nothing there, reset the line, and no action, pull it up, no minnow, so put another one on. No further action from that set line.

My bud, gets a hit on his set line, and out comes a 10" perch. He kept that one, and reset. He had constant fish following his presentations on his vexilar, but nothing would commit. My other bud then gets a 9" perch, puts that one back. Slack time, no hits for a bit, then my other bud gets a couple of its, but no hookups.

I had moved shallower, and had a tap, but nothing else. Then my other bud lands an 8" walleye. Shortly after that, I land an 8" walleye.

Continue jigging in this hole, and 15 min. later a solid hit, it goes apeshit, and I figger I know what I have on. Sure enough, about a 2.5-3 lb. pike. Not what I am targeting, get the hook out and back down the hole.

A short time later, still jigging in this same hole, the line feels heavy, slooooooowly pull up, feel weight, and set the hook. Feels like a nice fish, get it into the hole, and see it coming up, and.............."what the heck is that"(that went through my mind in a split second) then the fishes mouth breaks the surface of the hole, and the jig comes flying out, and I dive for it.

Its really amazing how a 2.5 lb fish can turn in an 8" hole to get away, went right around my hand that was fully immersed in the water.

It was a nice size whitefish, but I missed landing it, expletive deletive!!!!!! That one would have been nice to bake.

Not too much happened at this spot after that, so we moved(it was only 5 pm) and set up at the south end of the lake. Within 10 min. of setting up(during setting up, we did not have all our lines in yet) my bud gets a 13.5" walleye, then shortly after that, lands another about 14.5, and I miss a fish on a set line.

That was almost all the action for the rest of the day into darkness, but the bud who got the walleye did manage to get one more jigging and missed a couple of other hits, the other bud got a pike, and I missed one fish near darkness.

and.........I am still ticked about losing that whitefish, :lol: :lol:

On another note, my buds were out fishing into the night a couple of weeks back, and not too long before sunset got this fish:

Mike_with_Pike_(on_ice).jpg

We have a gaff made from a hockey stick, with one of the MNR stick on 36" tape measures wrapped around it, and this fish was probably 3" past that at best guess. No girth measurement, but a nice pike(as far as pike go, :lol: ), nonetheless.

Edited by tjsa

Using a few internet site fish weight calculators, using only length measurement cause thats what my buds did, with their guesstimate on total length, that fish was anywheres from 15-21 lbs. :lol:

My guesstimate..............16 lbs.

My bud does not care, he landed and released a really nice sized pike, and has pictures to back it up.