Backwoods rods anybody got one

2 tone z71

Apparently this is another kick at the can for these rod makers from what I hear and read on another site.

The first kick left lots of people without cash and rods.

Seems popular opinion is, not bad rods but don't pre-pay for something you may not get.

Like I said this is just what I've read on another site but alot of peolpe claim to have been screwed by them.

I have owned several of their rods, one spinning rod, a flipping stick, a M-Heavy Bait Casting rod and a custom made Musky rod.

I liked them all.

The baitcaster and the Musky rod were my absolute favourites over both G.Loomis and St.Croix rods

I haven't talked to Dan Sturges, the guy who ran the company in the past, for a couple of years.

Therefore I don't know what's going on with them now.

The problem with Backwoods, on OFC, was never the rods...

It was a member who spammed every thread until his cliches became a running gag.

Unless your buying G.Loomis' top of the line rods, you are essentially getting the same thing.

The Loomis rods are hand made by lovely young Asian girls who sit a big work stations and wind on the guides.

The Backwoods rods are a cottage industry. The company supplies parts and orders to a group of home builders who produce the rods.

You ordered from a catalog, but there is little or no inventory, the rod is custom made for you.

Unless your buying G.Loomis' top of the line rods, you are essentially getting the same thing.

The Loomis rods are hand made by lovely young Asian girls who sit a big work stations and wind on the guides.

The Backwoods rods are a cottage industry. The company supplies parts and orders to a group of home builders who produce the rods.

You ordered from a catalog, but there is little or no inventory, the rod is custom made for you.

So what's your association with BW rod guys and how can you guarantee the same thing won't happen again......are you willing to assure delivery of product??

Just asking as it seems you have an educated opinion.

I happen to know a guy who used to post here back around 2001 - 2002. He was one of their Pro's back then.

I have been to the home of Dan Sturges, the company President, in Wasaga Beach a couple of times.

I have sold my hand tied Musky Bucktail spinners to the company.

I have used their rods for the past 3 or 4 years.

The company principals have been to my place for drinks and snacks on at least one occasion.

I am not connected to them in any way other than using their products and being happy with them.

If there are delivery issues, I am not aware. My rods arrived in a reasonable amount of time...

If I wanted instant gratification I could have gone to CTC and fetched another Shimano off the shelf...

I understood that My rod was being custom made...

Personally, I was more than happy with the service I received, but Let The Buyer Beware.

I know nothing of their recent history, my last contact was at least 24 months ago...

• 2 months later...

I don't have one but i've looked at their rods recently and they use decent parts but the workmanship is a little sub-par. At the same time, for the price i saw on some of them, they are not bad as far as "custom" rods go. The blanks I saw were all the RX7 and other batson blanks but i only saw blanks from Batson's imported lines, nothing USA made models. The buttcaps and guides I saw were various Batson TiCh and some even had the batson vs3 guides so they don't skimp to save money that way. These are certainly better guides than those found on most factory shimanos. If you're going to get one, look carefully at the overall finish work on the corks and thread wrap epoxy. that's where the workmanship was the sloppiest.

i should add that the rods i saw were all plain jane too, no decorative thread wraps, no butt wraps, weaves or even chevrons, so I don't even know if they can do them

Edited by j ace

• 2 years later...

im prostaff with backwoods rods. they are quality rods i can assure u. all the rods i use were designed by me and made to my specs. dan does his best to make sure each customer is 100% satisfied from beginning to end. and the rods, are well priced, especially for a custom made rod. the blanks are very strong and sensative and the components used in the build are very high quality. if i can find my freakin camera, ill snap some pics of my rods for u. and if ur close by, im in hamilton and i would be more then happy to meet up with anyone interested in seeing the finished product and hold one of the rods.

i have caught several fish on the rods and love them. i used to use quantum and st croix rods. since using the backwods rods i sold my other rods. i may be prostaff, so it sounds lik im just sellinga product. BUT i am a very picky person when it comes to any sporting gear i use, and i wouldnt use somethin i didnt believe it. i have caught my biggest bass on a backwoods rod and i have yet to be outfished by anyone on lake erie smallies when we're drop shotting. i firmly believe the sensativity in my rod allowed me to catch fish others were missing. i fished my backwoods rod and a new g loomis NRX rod in each hand. both rods were the same length and action. but the backwoods rod felt lighter and more comfortable in my hand.

as i said, if anyone has any questions about these rods or would like to see one, please feel free to contact me.

If you're going to get one, look carefully at the overall finish work on the corks and thread wrap epoxy. that's where the workmanship was the sloppiest.

i should add that the rods i saw were all plain jane too, no decorative thread wraps, no butt wraps, weaves or even chevrons, so I don't even know if they can do them

I build all his rods anything you would like to know!

Well that explains the sloppy workmanship then!

(Just kidding Ernie! :D )

Ernie has built some steelhead rods for me and a few other friends. He does great work (when he doesn't rush :D ).

Some of the nicest handlework with exotic woods I've seen.

Edited by solopaddler

im prostaff with backwoods rods. they are quality rods i can assure u. all the rods i use were designed by me and made to my specs. dan does his best to make sure each customer is 100% satisfied from beginning to end. and the rods, are well priced, especially for a custom made rod. the blanks are very strong and sensative and the components used in the build are very high quality. if i can find my freakin camera, ill snap some pics of my rods for u. and if ur close by, im in hamilton and i would be more then happy to meet up with anyone interested in seeing the finished product and hold one of the rods.

i have caught several fish on the rods and love them. i used to use quantum and st croix rods. since using the backwods rods i sold my other rods. i may be prostaff, so it sounds lik im just sellinga product. BUT i am a very picky person when it comes to any sporting gear i use, and i wouldnt use somethin i didnt believe it. i have caught my biggest bass on a backwoods rod and i have yet to be outfished by anyone on lake erie smallies when we're drop shotting. i firmly believe the sensativity in my rod allowed me to catch fish others were missing. i fished my backwoods rod and a new g loomis NRX rod in each hand. both rods were the same length and action. but the backwoods rod felt lighter and more comfortable in my hand.

as i said, if anyone has any questions about these rods or would like to see one, please feel free to contact me.

Did you pay them to make you say that?