2 way radios (walkie-talkies)(NF)

Want

We use them at an organized hunt every year with no real issues. Don't expect to get clear signals in the jungle or over extremes in terrain, over the moutain to the next valley. In general we have no trouble, sometimes you have to mvoe a few feet, but that's about it. When you do your research, get the ones with the highest output wattage. Some are listed by distance, that's a gimmick, the ones I bought are 4 watt, I've seen models in the Cabela's magazine up to 5 watt now. Make sure you can replace the rechargeable batteries with "AA" types if the others die out. Mine also came with a 12VDC/120VAC charger.

My experience on the water with my FRS radio over the last 5 years has been positive too. Its been a great way to stay in contact with the other guys in our group. I have a Motorola T6300. I've been debating about whether to spring for a new GMRS radio due to its additional power (apparently up to 5 watts).

We've found that the FRS radio's are OK over longer distances in relatively flat areas such as lakes. Through the bush, they aren't worth it. Even the ones that claim they're up to 20 Km don't work worth a hoot in hilly country.

Where we go around Gogama, a lot of the cottagers still use CB's. Their range is better, but infortunately you still have to deal with the hillbillies from the South skipping across the airwaves with their powerfull units and making them difficult to use at times. And again trying to find a fairly powerful portable CB is a challenge. These radios also seem to have fallen out of favour since the Smokey and the Bandit days and are harder to find.

I've had noting but bad luck as well now mater what the model, like the other guy said you can see the other persons boat and can't contact them, flat and in the open ,junk i think, i opted for the vhf, work everytime, if you going down can you really reyl on someone hereing you!!spend the extra $40 and go vhf, more piece of mind if you get in trouble!!

The FRS radios are very handy and portable. When they fail to work they can be thrown at the person you're attempting to reach to get thier attention. We can't get 50 yards in the bush with them but across open water they are a tad better.