VHF Radios

medmart

IMHO because it is a safety device you should go with the best reception you can get which will usually be offered by a permanent mounted unit using a whip antenna, the longer the better. Check out the Solara, it's a good unit at a fairly reasonable price and has all the features you should need.

if you would only use it in the one boat

then go with a fixed mount unit

but if you want to take it in other boats and on the ice, then a good portable with a removable antenna so you can hook it up to a fix mount db gain antenna on your boat, many good portables also have mounts and mics you can add to make it just like a fix mount

Morning Memart. I'd go with a base unit. Some portables are spotty enough that you can just barely communicate with vessels that are within visual range. Portable units are great when connected to long, good quality antenas but in my opinion, that just defeats the purpose of portability. As it IS a security item you also don't risk forgetting the portable "in another coat" when you really need it out on the water. If you're still hell bent on getting a handheld, you might want to PM Wayne (Irishfield). He has experience in maximizing a handheld unit's range.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

I have had good success with both a portable and a fixed mount, however spend a little more and get a mid/high grade radio. Don't go with a bargain brand that might not last long as the diodes burn out you will receive and not transmit. I have this unit and I am very happy with it.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...0001000_200-1-5

my base mount radio is amazing,as well as not having a big boat,i have a 3ft antenae,with a power booster,its the same as an 8fter....!!!! port whitby marine can get them for you,just dont get the ones that are for sailboat masts they are way to whippy,and i have my antenae on a swivel,so it folds down along side my gunnel and isnt in the way of my boat cover, !!! it rocks