Banjo? NF

huntervasili

Hey all Just wondering if anyone on the board plays the banjo. Been an idea I have wanted to entertain for a while and believe now's the time... I have some questions for yas if anyone does have any knowledge, especially Bluegrass stuff. Thanks

Edited by Bill Parker

Well not the Banjo but I just started learning the Mandolin about 3 months ago.

It's the first musical instrument I've tried.

Some things that help me are :

1 - Check out Youtube . There are entire lessons on line for most instruments. Cool thing is you can play portions of the lesson over and over until you get it right. And you don't have to pay an instructor.

2 - Get a knowledgeable person who knows what to look for in buying a banjo. When I bought my mandolin

I bought a cheap one. A month later I was back buying a better one and the difference is unreal.

No more bleeding fingers :thumbsup_anim:

3 - Play it every day. Even if it's only for a few minutes. It's a good habit to get into.

4 - Less is more... you'll figure that one out lol.

Hookset.

Bill, I've been pickin' the ol' banjar for about 3.5 years now. Here's some footage of me playing Scrugg's style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMGX_daz8Ls

Mind you, I'm playing along to Judas Priest which is blasphemous as far as purists are concerned, but whatever man, I dig it! I do play mostly bluegrass though. And here's some old-time clawhammer style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npoljvVHiFA

I would be happy to help you out in your quest for 5 string supremacy any which way that I can!

Bill, I've been pickin' the ol' banjar for about 3.5 years now. Here's some footage of me playing Scrugg's style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMGX_daz8Ls

Mind you, I'm playing along to Judas Priest which is blasphemous as far as purists are concerned, but whatever man, I dig it! I do play mostly bluegrass though. And here's some old-time clawhammer style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npoljvVHiFA

I would be happy to help you out in your quest for 5 string supremacy any which way that I can!

That was awesome Billy!

Glad we got out fishin' today.

Hopefully next week will be better!

S.

Played a little bit of 5 string many years ago, but never got any good at it. Still have mine and plan on pulling it out when I can dedicate the proper amount of time to it. Having enough trouble with the guitar!

Like others said, tons of good info on youtube and lots of sites with banjo tablature.

I really wish I could play well, there is a certain magic to bluegrass pickin' that those that don't like it will never understand.

Good luck in your endevours and keep us posted.

Billy, have to admit I didn't care for the music, but your pickin' was awesome!!

Got any traditional bluegrass videos?

Your honestly is admirable! I don't really have any traditional bluegrass video stuff. Maybe I'll eventually get around to it. I've actually mainly been givin' 'er on mandolin for the past year and a half. I only occasionally play the banjo as a result.

Hey all Just wondering if anyone on the board plays the banjo. Been an idea I have wanted to entertain for a while and believe now's the time... I have some questions for yas if anyone does have any knowledge, especially Bluegrass stuff. Thanks

I've got an old longneck that you may be able to borrow for a while if you'd like. I haven't picked it up in years so my bro took it to work on some banjo lines for some recording he's been doing. I'd have to see if he's done with it, but he's had it for quite a while. Let me know.

JF

Okay then.......got any bluegrass mandolin videos?

Ha ha!! No, unfortunately not. I should though. I've been trying to master bluegrass for 3 years now and still feel like a total hack! Luckily there are some crazy good pickers in Toronto and I'm fortunate enough to get to jam with most of them quite often. I'm still an apprentice though! Thanks all for the kind words.