Pike Lure

Hi Guys,

As I mentioned earlier, I am going to try my luck with Pike on Saturday (First time). I went by the C-Tire and got some lures which I (with my infinite experience with Pike gear, which = zero) thought should do the job. So here it is, am I in the right direction or have I lost it completely?

Thanks,

Anton

missing pict is Daredevle five diamond sppon...

Pike_lure0001.jpg

Pike_lure0002.jpg

Pike_lure0003.jpg

Spinners, spoons, looks good. The only thing I'd add is a crankbait like an X-Rap or Husky Jerk that you can twitch and retrieve erratically.

Good luck, Mike

Ditto. I'd also suggest grabbing a couple body baits... I like the X-Raps and have gotten many pike on em.

Good luck to ya

rapala x rap clown

4ffd_1.JPG

mepps syclops

fd04_1.JPG

.. and in terms of the open bays.. im sure there are some open spots ;)

oh and make sure you got yourself some wire leaders.. i made the mistake of forgetting them last time... DOH...

Edited by kevin

I'd add a few Johnson Silver Minnows to my arsenal. They can be fished shallow and slow, and few lures will flash more brightly. Perfect for early season cold water Pike.

What he said. Maybe a Wabler in the mix too.

Tip yer Johnson all grubby-like too.

Forget about the Toronto islands until May. It's all frozen there and doubt the ferries are running.

Your best bet would be Frenchmans Bay at the foot of Liverpool Rd sounds like there is a bit of open water there.

The lures below are prime early spring/ late winter lures for Lake Ontario shoreline pike.

Especially the clown x- rap, perch finish ain't bad either.

rapala x rap clown

4ffd_1.JPG

mepps syclops

fd04_1.JPG

.. and in terms of the open bays.. im sure there are some open spots ;)

oh and make sure you got yourself some wire leaders.. i made the mistake of forgetting them last time... DOH...

Had lotsa luck with Rapala husky jerk size 10 or 12's.

The lure on this fish worked well for T.O pike last spring. Husky Jerk size 10.

pike1.jpg

with the water being as cold as it is, I would use bodybaits like the Husky Jerk or X-Rap. I've only fished that area a few times, so the local guys can correct me if I'm wrong. But I stay away from blade baits(spinners/spinnerbaits) until the ice is long gone from the bays. you're better off finding potentially good spots and working them real slow. Take your time and don't give up. Good luck.

Anton....

Never go anywhere without a selection of jig heads in various weights and colours.

A basic jig tipped with a 6" white twister tail has caught me several pike at the islands and they're deadly and in-expensive.

Silver spoons/Xraps are also very good at different times...must haves.

Make sure you have a steel leader..w/quality snaps........You dont want to be dissapointed with a bite off.

Man....I'm hoping your outing is successful.

Really looking forward to your report.

Be safe out there

Anton.....do you have any release tools?

A FIRST pike can be intimidating....you dont want any hook harm to yourself or the fish.

Jaw Spreaders-Needlenose pliers-Cutters for sure.

Best of luck fella!

bNb

Edited by brickNblock

spinners work great when the water is warmer i would go with x-raps,bomber long a,and my favorite spring lure cotton cordell riplin redfin slow stop and go retrieve will surly get crushed.if u get a sunny day try a silver williams wabler and start snapping it real hard they go crazy for the erratic retrieve.dont forget the jaw spreaders super long pliers or hemostats and if your like me some band aids.a towel wouldnt be a bad idea either to wipe the dirty slime off yer hands good luck with them gators cheers.

SpringPike095.jpg

I'd probably start with the bucktail if it was me. I also like the ripplin redfin and these two (Lucky Strike Half Wave and orange striped devil bait) lures because TJ said (pic below). Also if the action is slow try a #3 or #4 Mepps Aglia, you never know what'll hit that.

Edited by kennyman