Kayak fishing?

jediangler

If any of you are thinking of getting into kayak fishing this year, there is a great deal on right now at Costco. A 10' Pelican recreational kayak for $359. It comes with a spray skirt, paddle and roof top carrier. Paddle $100, skirt $70 & cartop kit $40. You are practically getting the kayak for $160.

2.jpg

If any of you are thinking of getting into kayak fishing this year, there is a great deal on right now at Costco. A 10' Pelican recreational kayak for $359. It comes with a spray skirt, paddle and roof top carrier. Paddle $100, skirt $70 & cartop kit $40. You are practically getting the kayak for $160.

Here's a question for any of you heavyweights. I weigh in at 225 on a lean day, so with gear (and clothes) I'm gonna run 235-240 minimum. I've been out in big sea kayaks but never these little bitty ones I see around here. What do I need to stay on top of the water. I'm not afraid of getting wet but what's the point of using the kayak if I need my dive mask to see what's going on around me.

My best fishing buddy is a scrawny little dude (mebbe 150 on a fat day) who loves fishing from his homemade kayaks (and one foldable) but he apparently has no clue what I should have. To him kayaks are just tools, not something you actually think about.

Thanks for any advice.

JF

Here's a question for any of you heavyweights. I weigh in at 225 on a lean day, so with gear (and clothes) I'm gonna run 235-240 minimum. I've been out in big sea kayaks but never these little bitty ones I see around here. What do I need to stay on top of the water. I'm not afraid of getting wet but what's the point of using the kayak if I need my dive mask to see what's going on around me.

My best fishing buddy is a scrawny little dude (mebbe 150 on a fat day) who loves fishing from his homemade kayaks (and one foldable) but he apparently has no clue what I should have. To him kayaks are just tools, not something you actually think about.

Thanks for any advice.

JF

That boat would be a bit small for your size. Every kayak has an overall reccomended weight limit. The kayak usually starts getting squirrely at, or slightly above that weight limit. Figure your weight, cold weather paddling gear, tackle, beer and go from there.

That boat would be a bit small for your size. Every kayak has an overall reccomended weight limit. The kayak usually starts getting squirrely at, or slightly above that weight limit. Figure your weight, cold weather paddling gear, tackle, beer and go from there.

Couple of things - kayaking is something I'll be doing in warm weather only. My chubby little butt doesn't do so well that close to icy water. And the other thing is that beer, whatever there is of it, will be inside me, so that doesn't count as weight, right?

JF

Couple of things - kayaking is something I'll be doing in warm weather only. My chubby little butt doesn't do so well that close to icy water. And the other thing is that beer, whatever there is of it, will be inside me, so that doesn't count as weight, right?

JF

You should consider the fit of the cockpit to see if it's comfortable for you. The volume of the kayak has its limitations of how much weight it can keep buoyant and paddle as it was designed for. The more weight, the more plowing when you paddle which will take more energy in your stroke... and if you are too heavy, then the bow will pearl under water. You will know what happens quickly after that. Before you buy, get into the kayak and try it out. Your legs and butt may not be as comfortable as you may think. In my kayak, I have adjustments for the seat, the back band, thigh braces, knee braces, hip pads, and foot pads. It's not so imperative that you have all of this in a flat water kayak, but it should be noted. Make comfort priority. You don't want to be giving up hockey just because your skates don't fit properly.

That's a good deal on the kayak for sure, and a great opportunity to get out there and paddle and enjoy more of the outdoors ... with or without your fishing gear.

nice deal..but not sher about quality and not sher about a big guy geting in there to fish..it will work..but will it? be comfortable for a big guy...

i would go look at this one before..

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_...D=1206055522361

and the sale finish today..hurry.

its better to fish witi think and have a good capacity.(a starter kayak)

joco

Hey guys...My names Jeff and Im out in the Queen Charlotte Islands, BC...I am a kayak fishing guide here thats opening a new lodge just for kayak fishing...I ve seen a few big guys get into the kayaks I use with ease and comfort...The ocean kayak Big Game-great beginner kayak for big dudes... check it out Ocean Kayak Big Game

The sit on tops are much more user friendly for beginners and for guys that are less nimble...I way 190 or so and I love them...A guy needs to sit on the yaks and chill out sideways with his legs in the water...get in the groove and think like the fish...When I fish out here I deal with heavy tides, lots of wind and big swells that today reached 6 metres...These kayaks can allow for the angler to not onle feel safe in bad conditions but comfortable as well...We fish for Halibut that can reach 300 lbs here...Though I have never been lucky enough to hook one yet out of the yak its not because I dont try...lol...this weekend Im fishing off the west coast of the islands targetting big females that are coming in shallow to feed off herring...I hope to catch at least one 70#+... :)

Thats my goal anyways....Wish you luck in your search but be sure that this sport is growing huge in the US and will be knocking on yours and your childrens doorstep soon...Wish me luck on the Hali fishing...later :)

Kayakers drink beer? I thought they drank health food blended smoothies.

haha yep a box of granola bars and a loaf of bread and there gone for a week,up here they flock by the hundreds all summer coming down the mag river,out of the french,out on georgian bay iliands full of tents,we call em rock@hiters they come @hit all over the iliands leave a mess for everyone all for the grand total of 15.00 to park there car for a week

Some good solid advice guys. Being a white water paddler and my wife says I have too many kayaks sitting around you can find used ones quite easily.

As mentioned above Kayaks go by weight class and performance. Then there are different types of kayaks like cottage, recreational, white water, tripping, extended tripping..........the list goes on. Usually the type of Kayak you purchase from Canadian Tire, Cosco Walmart will be a recreational/cottage kayak. Meant for playing out infront of the cottage. Of course any device can be adapted you your use. The flat botton on these boats make them more stable. The inital stability is good but there isn't any secondary stability. Of course a good PFd is needed in any craft.

The Sit On Tops (SOT) are really taking off and are now being marketed as fishing crafts. There are some real good ones on the market. Great for summer but good paddling gear is required for the more cooler mths.

Go to some of the manufactures and read up on their Kayaks and SOTs. The cheaper ones are good for getting into the sport buy you'll find they are harder to paddle due to the shape (flat bottom) and most people get fed up with them.

Try some of the buy and sells like www.supershopper.com there is always kayaks of different price ranges in there. I bought a SOT for $50 because it had been leaning against a cottage wall for a year or more.

There are also a few good Kayak Fishing web sites now and a few in Ont.

You can buy cheap twice or good once.

RR

For solo, I remove the front seat & just slide the rear seat forward.

I don't claim to know everything..but I know what works for me. Spend the $$$ right the first-time & enjoy the best paddlesport.

Edited by danbo