Downrigger temperature readers....

AzuluSpookd

I am looking for a temperature sensor, not speed that hooks to my rigger weights....I've looked on Cabelas and BPS and located somethat were almost, if not more expensive than a fishfinder!

I saw one about a week ago, that was wireless....and relatively cheap, but I can't seem to find it anymore :wallbash:

Any suggestions?

Well i have the hawk 840 thermo-troll,and it measures speed & temp at the ball,WHICH IS VERY IMPORTANT !!!! just wondering why you wouldnt want the speed sensor as well,the speed from the surface to your lure can vary greatly,and DOES UP YOUR CATCH BIG TIME !!!!way more than with just temp itself !!!!.and yes they are not cheap but its a very accurate unit,and is wireless,and is basicly a graph,its top shelf equipment :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Percher you got that right dan !!!!!...thats cause we fish lake ontario all the time,but even on lake trout lakes its amazing at the currents,and water density and even thick alge that can affect the speed difference from top to bottom,yes your boat on the surface maybe doing 3mph,but your lure down 85ft might only be doing 1.9mph it happens alot,so its for sure the most important thing big time,so we are just letting you know,and they vary in price,but its worth spending the money my unit is $1,100 but you know the saying you get what you pay for !!!! it will make a huge diffenece at the end of the day trust me

yes your boat on the surface maybe doing 3mph,but your lure down 85ft might only be doing 1.9mph it happens alot

So if my calculations are correct, trolling for an hour would put my bait 1.1 miles behind the boat. Makes sense to me....

So if my calculations are correct, trolling for an hour would put my bait 1.1 miles behind the boat. Makes sense to me....

Well......ummm........NO......LOL

There is a definite current in the great lakes. If your heading into the current, your lure is going to be turning faster. If you get a fish on that pass, then turn the boat around and make another pass with the current......your lure won't be turning the same speed, and fish might not like it.....but the boat is moving the same speed on both passes.

Fish will come out of thier temp range to feed, but if your lure is going too fast/slow, they won't take it.

I have limited rigging experience, but the times I have been out, the down speed was the one thing we really paid attention too. I was amazed at the difference from top to bottom. We even pulled the unit to the surface and compared its reading to the GPS speed........sure enough.....it was bang on!!

Sinker