Now this is a drag race

bassboy

Saw the episode of Top Gear when it first aired. Never ceases to amaze me some of the stunts that they pull.

As an aside the Bugatti Veyron at full throttle burns a full tank of gas in 11 minutes! I guess if you have the $1M plus to buy one that's probably academic!

I love that he's going 190+ MPH and calmly talking to the viewers. I'd be holding on for dear life!

Bear in mind that "Hamster" is the one that crashed a jet car at around 300mph and spent a few weeks on like support!

Now that was cool 188mph in 18 seconds and 197mph on the way back :thumbsup_anim:

That's like 42 minutes to Quinte, Mike. You'd have to start negotiating the Napanee exit at Cornwall though. And did I mention the ripples and waves in the aluminum Lund?

I was blown away by the simple fact that is has an AIR BRAKE LOL.....what was it they said about it? It has the same stopping power (the air brake, or speed brake or whatever you want to call it) as a small family sedan?? I was amazed too at how little he overran that mile line mark on the runway too.

Im curious though.....I wonder if the jet was restricted in airspeed....I would imagine so....but I wonder how much it would have won by had he been able to go supersonic?? I dont think the shows insurance (let alone the MOT) would allow this...as I am sure there would have been a multitude of broken windows from the sonic boom! LOL

Glad people enjoyed it!!

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some interesting acceleration facts.

One top fuel dragster 500 cu in engine makes more horsepower than the first four rows at the Daytona 500

A stock Dodge 428 hemi can't produce enough power to run the supercharger.

With 300 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive the fuel mixture is compressed into a near solid before ignition. Cylinders are running very close to hydraulic lock at full throttle.

Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen that is dissociated gases from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. this is the output of an arc welder to each cylinder.

In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4G's.

Dragsters reach over 300 MPH before you have completed reading this sentence.

Top fuel engines turn about 540 revolutions from light to light.

Awesome power!