Winter Project.

Carp

This is just one of the winter projects I have planned.

I started making a dual manual planer mast. (like I need one :rolleyes: )

(I already have a dual electric.)

One of the hardest things to figure out is how to make the reels and attach them to the mast.

I cut a spool from mig welding wire for the centres and got two spools at a local hardware store

that had some decorative chain on them. They were practically empty, so the associate

was more than willing to give them to me and just put new (full) spools on display. These will be the outside plates of the reels.

Two large screwdrivers will be the handles(I'll have to cut and thread the ends) and clutch or stopping device will have to come later.

Here's what they look like after some cutting.

gallery_48_98_15655.jpg

Bought the aluminum mast and got a shop to turn the end down to the diameter I needed.

It had to fit this seat base adapter:

gallery_48_98_12999.jpg

gallery_48_98_9860.jpg

Got the shop to make a collar and base that can be bolted to my Big Jon base plates.

They had some stainless steel sitting around, so that's what was used. I just have to weld the collar and base together.

Again, the same size as the seat adapter so I can use the mast for either application.

gallery_48_98_6603.jpg

I've already made a set of dual paner boards, which I was using on Quinte last month.

Here's what they look like before flourecent orange paint, 3 coats of varnish and hardware:

gallery_48_98_17586.jpg

....and the finished product:

gallery_48_98_2405.jpg

gallery_48_98_77801.jpg

I'll post the complete finished mast (if it ever gets done)

at some point. What was I thinking starting another project ? :wacko:

Hi everyone.

Just a quick intro.

I'm Carp's wife Laura. (Cgirl )

He'd better get to work on my list and forget about his own.

I don't fish as often as he'd like,

but sometimes I just go along to make sure he doesn't lose any

of the kids. (doesn't think straight when his mind is on fishing)

I've caught a few smaller fish, but don't ask what they were. :dunno:

I did outfish him in Barbados while we were reef fishing out in front of our resort. :P

Met some of you at the year end swill last year and

there were some very nice people.

If I remember correctly, it was Mr. and Mrs. Eh who were seated with us and a very pleasent couple.

TJ and Monique came by to say hi. Hope to meet more of you at this years party. :)

gallery_973_151_48058.jpg

Edited by Cgirl

Everything looks good so far. I was thinking of converting my mast to mount in the seat mount but was having a hard time finding the base. So I stuck with the flat metal mount on the bow. Let us know how it all works out in the end.

I bought the seat base adapter from Bay Distributors in North Bay.

Think it was about $40. It fits the popular Springfield seat bases.

A bit more than I wanted to spend, but now I have a collar for the mast that can

be transfered to another boat, if necessary, very easily without drilling holes.

I use bro's boat most of the time and have both the

Springfield seat base in the front casting platform and Big John mounting plate at the bow.

Welcome aboard Cgirl. Carp ignore the honeydo list and keep up the great work on the mast. Only kidding.

I think buying the base was a good idea like you said to avoid more holes in the boat. I probably should have looked harder for one but was anixous to get things mounted and going . I'll keep the place in mind up there if looking for anything else though.

Mike