Headlight.....

Meely

Howdy Gang,

Hoping one of you more mechanically/electrically inclined OFC'ers can shed some "light "(pardon the pun) on a problem I am having as of late. I have a 1985 Bombardier Citation snowmobile.

As of late, I have been burning out headlamps almost every weekend or so. I have replace the bulbs 4 times so far and they keep popping. The break light works fine , it's just the head light. I used to be able to have regular beam, then high beam when I flipped the switch. Then this year, I could only get one beam to work (Which was still fine). Now, the bulb does not last for more than a few hours or so.

What do u guys think???

I would appreciate any help in "Dummee" language as I'm not the best at his kinda stuff.

Thanks,

Meely

Couple possibilities come to mind. First is there is a possibility that the problem is in your dimmer switch. Seeing as how you cant switch high/low I'm wondering if both filaments are coming on and overheating the bulb. Secondly is the voltage regulator may not be properly grounded or defective. The regulator is designed to take any voltage levels above 14 and direct them to ground. If the ground at the regulator is open circuit(cut wire or rusty)it can't direct it to ground, voltage goes high and will blow the bulb. Hope this helps.

Edited by Bernie

If the bulb is a halogen, it could be that you are touching the actual bulb while installing it.

The oil from your fingers will create a hotspot that burns the bulb out ASAP.

This was happening to me in my car before I Googled it and found out what I was doing wrong.

I installed a new bulb making sure not to touch it and the problem went away.

Yup, prolly the voltage regulator.....just changed one in a buddies machine.

Another trick I was told about is to wire in another light under the hood of the machine.....apparently it will drain just enough power to stop the headlight from blowing? Not sure how true this one is though.....never tried it, but the old fella who told me seemed to know what he was talking about...?

Voltage regulator is an easy fix, check the ground on it first though, usually its the ground.

Sinker

If the bulb is a halogen, it could be that you are touching the actual bulb while installing it.

The oil from your fingers will create a hotspot that burns the bulb out ASAP.

This was happening to me in my car before I Googled it and found out what I was doing wrong.

I installed a new bulb making sure not to touch it and the problem went away.

Did we have Halogeon head lights in 1985?

All good suggestions but I will add....

If it's your regulator, your battery may be overcharging and low on water - check that.

Wiring harness/plug might be corroded. (I get this at work on the trucks)

Is there a battery on a Citation?

I don't think it's electric start.