Barometric Pressure

Fishnwire

Who can tell me (or tell me where to go to find out) a little bit about barometric pressure, and how it relates to fish activity? Are there some general rules?...I seem to remember someone telling me fishing is best when the pressure is high but falling. Is that true and are there other guidelines that are useful to know?

Discussions like this about effects on fishing from barometric pressure and even solunar tables, always result in the same conclusion.

They have an effect on fish activity, but not on fishing activity. Fish all the time, and fish extra hard when conditions are favorable, like when you can, for e.g.

Jes' giv 'er.

Edited by douG

I think he was inquiring about different fishing tactics in relation to a changing barometric pressure, not weather or not he should go out fishing at all.

For example, if a decline in barometric pressure causes small mouth to feed more aggressively, then a hard and fast presentation would be appropriate. Not sure if the above information is correct, im just using it as an example.

bong hits will cause you to over analyze everthing :rolleyes:

True, my river bound buddy. If the fish aren't going for the big fast baits, downsize and slow it up.

General advice is to work the transitions, in weather, vegetation, daylight, flow, barometric pressure, lunar influence, bottom composition and depth. That's the location part. Then you get to choose your bait and its colour, action, size, depth, to somehow fool a prehistoric creature,with a brain the size of a pea, into thinking that there is food at the end of that Gamakatsu. . Pretty dang easy.

I think that barometric pressure is only one of a variety of alleged influences on your fishing success. If none of the crew caught anything, then you can seem wise by claiming the new cold front is the reason. If that's not the case, then see Para. #2.

This link is as good as any for containing the current published wisdom. Hope this hleps.

Dutchy, Left Hand Side.

Edited by douG

Pressure definitely effects fish and a few years back I did a 6 month study on weather and fish. The bottom line is fish like stability, for barometric pressure stability means 1016 and whether the pressure is rising or falling towards that, it will help. This being said there are alot of other influences of fish behaviour such as wind speed and shoreline direction, temperatures rising or falling, moon phases etc.

Someone once said that when the birds are feeding heavily on the birdfeeder then so are the fish and I have found this also to be true.

For myself fishing is more about being in an environment I find relaxing, catching fish is just a bonus.

Hope this helps,

One of my favorite times to fish was after a longish dry spell 5 or 6 days and a front moving in(rain), the bass would go nuts sometimes. The period after the front was tougher though for while, needed to stabilize. I hate to go fish in the morning when a front came thru overnight.

A lot of times no choice though, I didn`t stop fishing, just tried to adjust. Lows mean smaller and slower to me. More attention to bites because there may not be as many. Make the ones you do get count.

We've kept a log of how our fishing goes....and barometric pressure is one factor. We've found that if the pressure is on the low side and pretty stable, the fishing seems to be the most consistent. Rapidly dropping pressure can be great too. Pressure that is high (over 102 kpa) or rising very quickly hasn't yielded the best results.

There have been a few discussions on this stuff as seen in the links below, but one thing always rings true...you cant catch fish from your living room!

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...pic=516&hl=

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...p;hl=barometric

Here's a thread that talks about wind direction....

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...p;hl=barometric

Last year fishing the Rideau for bass, we arrived on Saturday. From Saturday through Thursday, we had constant warm weather. During those days, my wife and I were not catching many bass - while in past years we always did very well and even some multi-pounders. That Thursday I was out by myself and could see a front moving in - big black clouds and all coming over the horizon. I'd say about 1/2 hour before I had to leave the water, the fishing turned hot. Within a very short time, I had caught a number of bass and two approaching 4 pounds. Just like the switch turned on. The time just ahead of the front was the best fishing all week.

Similar thing last September on the French. Bluebird skies for almost two weeks straight and no fronts or anything to change the weather pattern. Fishing was very trough for me and for the others in the camp. Toward the end of the second week, I learned of a front that was due in mid morning. We would out before day break and raised a couple nice musky. Although we didn't get either one, we saw more fish action just ahead of the front that we had for almost two weeks. (save the hammer-handles of course). Of course, the weather forced us off the water again.

When I know of a front coming through - I like to be out there on my favorite spots.

When I know of a front coming through - I like to be out there on my favorite spots.

Absolutely Rich and I couldn't agree with you more.

When there's a big storm brewing and will be hitting your area in the very near future you can be sure the fish will be turning on and that's the time to be in the best locations.

It's not always the best time to be on the water, but we've put so many big fish in the boat just before the storm hits it's unbelievable, and I mean RIGHT before, when the sky is black, the lightning is flashing and you can actually see the approaching wall of rain almost on top of you.

A perfect example was late last summer and Squid and I were casting for muskies and they'd been forecasting a big storm for the afternoon. We could see it approaching in the distance and could see & hear the lightening, so I moved the boat into a favorite spot and as the wall of water was only 1000' away I told Pete to get ready, and in about 2 more casts he nailed a big musky.....PERFECT !! :thumbsup_anim:

When the pressure is dropping very fast it's the time to be on the water, and in my own opinon it's possibly the best time, at least it works for me.

Guest skeeter99

***Vanselena, the real connection between fish and success is cows.****

here is one I observe and found it by fluke, it is kinda like the birds are feeding so are the fish

the route I take to beaverton for perch fishing is hwy 23

If the wild turkeys are in the fields by the masses at first light you are going to have a banner day, if there are none much slower

so far 100% accurracy, we always catch fish but just how many and how fast and furious

Periods of strong of activity combined with favorable barometric pressure produce results. Fish and fishermen are turned on by the same conditions at the same time, making for an ideal catching situation.

Guys who schedule their fishing and dating based on major periods of activity are more likely to get more. And more and more and more.