Gps

walleyejack

The big decider on what you get, is what do you want to spend? Very nice mapping handhelds for 400$, all in, suggest Garmin 76csx, waterproof, floats, put a 4 g card in it if you want, trip computer, backroads figger er outer, Tim's finder, etc. Topo for our entire great nation will fit on that card, btw. Just let that sink in for a minute. You can't be lost ANYWHERE in Canadia with this gizmo!

Very sensitive, too. Looking at its map, it sez which side of the street I'm standing on in front of my house, in the front, or the back yard. It always registers the front porch within 10 ft. 2 AA batteries last for about 18 hours.

If the weather is really cold, I might keep a set of fresh batteries in my pocket on the ice, to keep them warm. Is the problem with your gps unit the screen or the batteries? Try leaving your screen outside overnight with the battery unit inside the house, and hook them up in the morning. This might tell you if the problem is with the screen or the batteries.

Edited by douG

Topo for our entire great nation will fit on that card, btw.

Not true. The Garmin units will only allow 2025 maps to be loaded onto a card. With Garmin topo Canada, Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan alone have more maps than that. Go with a 1 gig card. You'll easily get your maximum of 2025 maps on a 1 gig card.

Yup... Thats the next unit I am going to get... Used it and it works awesome... Currently have a Garmin Rino 120 and it has served me well for the past 2 or 3 years... Taken a beating( fallen on the ground many times, bottom of the boat in water, Used alot in pretty cold weather, and It has been dropped from a 16 foot tree stand onto a rock while I was hunting) and it still works just great. Nothing bad to say Only reasons to upgrade are I like colour units and maybe a bigger screen with more memory... As for handhelds I believe garmin is the way to go :)

I totally love my Lowrance H2Oc with the Mapcreate topo ... I put most of Ontario/Quebec on a 1 gig card ... and now all I need is better lake maps/charts ... but I understand they're coming ... I took it to bermuda and it worked perfectly ... just didnt have the roads :)

Garmin 60CSX, 76CSX floats but I like the 60CSX as it's smaller to hold and the buttons are on the bottom of the screen. It's a little expensive, but it's the only GPS you'll need. Good for driving, hiking, boating, ATV'ing, any outdoor activities. Buying anything else will just lead to wishing you had bought that one instead. Great reception, even indoors, expandable memory, color screen, turn by turn navigation, waterproof, and a built in compass which is great for when your not moving.

My 2 cents.

"I suggest you keep the unit tucked against your sweater inside your coat when not actually reading your gps. Just like a digital camera ya gotta baby 'em a bit."

My GPS is on the handlebar mount on my ATV when I go ATV'ing in the winter for 3 to 10 hours and yet to have any problem.

:clapping: Yep! I use mine for hockey when I can't find a puck.. but seriously..

All that vibration & SHOCK IS GONNA DAMAGE THE GUTS EVENTUALLY, for $400 bucks I'd try to take good care of it. Peace.

Edited by danbo

Garmin 60CSX, 76CSX floats but I like the 60CSX as it's smaller to hold and the buttons are on the bottom of the screen.

I'm a 60 CSX guy too. The fact that the 76 floats could be a good thing, or not. I read a testimonial from a guy that dropped his 76 while wading in a heavy current. Well, it floated away from him never to be seen again. He replaced it with a 60 CSX and duplicated the dropped GPS in that same current, and was able to retrieve the GPS a few feet away from where he dropped it. Now if you drop one over the side of a boat in reasonably deep water, then the 76 wins.

Danbo is right. At work, when we want to wear stuff out that goes on airplanes, we shake em and put them through repeated temperature extremes, Shake and Bake, as it were. You can accelerate normal aging real quick that way.

I think this means that if you reduce the rate of change of temp on your units, and try to avoid dropping them on their haid, you will do some good in making them last.

Note that the factor here is how quickly they go from cold to hot to cold, not what the temperature extremes are. You might totally fry your unit by bringing it inside from -30 to a nice warm room, and setting it by the fire to 'warm up'. Not a good idea. Warm up the batteries if you like, but don't turn your hairdryer on the gps if it has been cold. Gradual changes in temp are best for electronics.

Edited by douG

thanks guys for all your responses..all were good and opinionated..i like the hockey puck one, i think that is what i am going to try with my Magellan..it looks like the Garmin is what is hot, a little more money but looks like it is worth it, off to the fishing store i go

thanks Al

Guest gbfisher
I totally love my Lowrance H2Oc with the Mapcreate topo ... I put most of Ontario/Quebec on a 1 gig card ... and now all I need is better lake maps/charts ... but I understand they're coming ... I took it to bermuda and it worked perfectly ... just didnt have the roads :)

I thought they were nice as well. I just picked one up at the Boat show at Radio World. The lake maps look MINT. and ....