Ice Shack falls through Ice on Ottawa River

I looked out my window Sunday morning and was shocked to see that an ice shack out here on the Ottawa broke through the ice sometime overnight!!!!! :blink: The lads were using it right up until 18:00 Saturday evening!!....the shoreline is pretty flooded due to the all the run-off from the mild weather we had, so these guys walked out onto the ice using planks :blink::blink:

It still boggles my mind what some people will do for a fish :wallbash::wallbash:

Here's the morning shot (sorry for the bluriness)

20080113_0002.jpg

3 guys started using chainsaws to cut around the shack starting at 8:30AM yesterday...they called it a day at 16:30...

I walked out today to see the progress..shack is almost out...what a freaking mess :angry::angry: there is a huge open hole now and lot's of ice blocks on the ice from the chainsaw that are frozen now from last night...this is a main snowmobile route from the creek to the gas bar....I hope no one hits those blocks of ice on their sleds or they will get hurt bad!!

20080114_0002_1.jpg

20080114_0001_1.jpg

Probably threw another log on the fire for good measure just before they left.....

the shoreline is pretty flooded due to the all the run-off from the mild weather we had, so these guys walked out onto the ice using planks

It still boggles my mind what some people will do for a fish :wallbash::wallbash:

..and then you walked out on it ! :o

Wayne...I thought of that at first too...until I went back and read it again. The incident happened Sunday....that's when he saw the water and people walking on planks to get out there. He walked out there today so I'm assuming it's cold enough last night where he is that the runoff all froze overnight.

That's my theory as well regarding the stove ...if you look close at the first picture, the stove end of the shack is the end that broke through the ice....these guys pulled that shack out on New Year's Day with only 8" of ice thickness :rolleyes:

and BTW...the owner of this shack also put his F150 through the ice right up to the roof of the truck last Mar/07, just across the bay from where the shack is :wallbash: ...go figure

WOW...of all the places in the world,to not be %100 percent safe. :blink::dunno: ...the ottawa river with all that current,i have seen 14-24inches of safe ice dissapear in about 3 days after they have let water out of the swischa dam !!!! well they are not using common sense out there thats for sure,thanks for the pics & the report of the ice near you on the mighty ottawa.....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I'd say all the water on the ice, widened the holes under the hut.....ended up eating the hut.

First thing I do if there is a thaw is move the hut off the holes until it gets solid again. Water rushing down a big hut hole will get HUGE in no time. Looks like the ice around it is safe enough.

Hope they mark that hole and get rid of those blocks......that could hurt!

Sinker

Rivers and warm weather are never a good combo for good ice. I assume the Ottawa rises and falls when there is a lot of runoff which would make the ice unstable. At least they got the hut out and nobody was hurt.

TMH anyway you can get the Hut Number? then contact MNR so they can contact the owners togo make that area safe for snowmobilers. I wouldn't want to hit one of those blocks doing 100mph at night!!!!

Or let me know and maybe I can go give you a hand this weekend.

Edited by wallyboss

The water levels are very eratic right now too, all the dams have there doors open from what I have been told. Just hope there is enough ice for this years charity derby we are putting on. For those of you who are interested, I am again this year part of the organizing committe putting on a charity derby, it will be at Petrie Island on March 1. Hopefully everything comes together by then and it is as sucessful as last years. We raised over 4000 dollars for the cancer society last year. This year it is a different charity.

Steve, do you think we are ever going to get out in your shack? I am getting really bored. :sleeping_02:

Steve, do you think we are ever going to get out in your shack? I am getting really bored. :sleeping_02:

Hey Don...how ya doin bud???....not sure if I'm goin to haul out the shack on the river this year...let's see what the weather brings in the next couple of weeks....I'm headin' up to Temagami on the 24th for a few days with Trevor and the lads...I'll let you know how we did... I do have another shack available to use, but it's on the other side of the Bay...they caught a 5lb eye out of it last night...We'll get out for sure when I get back from my trip!!

Thanks for the offer Dan aka WB...a few us went out today, grabbed some Christmas trees that were out for garbage collection and put them all along the ice area of where the shack went in...us locals know who the owners of the shack are and their lack of respect for the safety of others ;););)

Steve

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter