My breath is getting shorter,

Mom I'm getting really scared

These are my final moments,

and I'm so unprepared.

I wish that you could hold me Mom,

As I lie here and die.

I wish that I could say, 'I love you, Mom!'

So I love you and goodbye.

We don't know from this poem that the boy is actually guilty of drinking and driving...he may be accused of that but he's innocent until proven guilty, so the poem just needs to add the word "allegedly" and its fine.

"Because he allegedly chose to drink and drive,"

If it makes only one person stop and think before they drink and drive it's the right place to post it. So many of us have had only a drink or two and some times three and thought we were fine but that's all it takes. I have to admit, when I was younger I probably drove a few times that I shouldn't have. Today, I WILL NOT drink and drive, That's not to say I wouldn't have a small glass of wine with dinner or even a beer but my limit is one if any and most of the time it is none.

Good post! Just remember if you do drink and drive the life you take may not be your own but you will ruin yours and so many more. Is it realy worth it!

There isn't a person that I know that couldn't call me at anytime of the day or night that I wouldn't get out of bed for and go and get if they called me and said " I've had a few drinks and have to get home"! I'd much rather be tired than loose a friend!

Cliff, I for one will say, that I have done it many times and know I shouldnt, but have to "GET HOME" as they say.

Now it,s ,if were going out,it,s the cab or the mrs,s drives (she dont mind,god love her) All I got to think is about what I can lose if Im caught or even get into an accident.

Thanks for your reply bud.

I think that from a legal perspective Kirk is right! From a moral perspective, well I think that's quite clear.

The biggest problem we have in our socity today is that the courts tend to let people go with a slap on the wrist. I watched a program on TV last night, a guy had three young kids in the car, he was driving at +100 MPH, when the cops stopped him, he had 3 times the leagal limit in his blood. It was his 6th offence. One a big fine, two 10 years in jail, three,.... life. Take one, do one!

Part of the reason our cops are so over worked is repeat offenders. Perhaps we should learn a lesson from our friends to the South and impose manditory sentenances for many crimes. Aparently it has cut their crime rate as much as 20% in many states.

Alcoholics & bingers don't need prison..they need help, council,coping skills,meds,etc.

Ask me how I know.

MADD thinks shaming drivers will somehow help the survivors grieve. It doesnt work.

Zero tolerance with courts & laws.

40mg breath sample = 1 year suspension.

Get tough, but get repeaters into forced rehabs.

Maybe start nailing the Taverns that keep serving people until they're blitzed.

Friends should look out for friends.

The list is endless & every case is unique.

When I was a kid the advertising line was "You are your own liquor control board". What ever happened to that? Why are we trying to blame people other than the ones drinking? No one wants to take responsibilities for their own actions anymore.

Happened to me when I was young. The girl driving the car I was in was 16 and sober, I was 15. She was in the hospital for 8 months following the crash. I lost all memory of my childhood, remember nothing. I was in Europe two years before it happened. I didn't know that until I was almost 20 years old when it came up in conversation with the family.

The guy who hit us was three times over the limit. It would have been his 5th conviction. The only thing his family asked the police when they called to notify them of his death was if he hurt anyone "this time".

I laid in the middle of the street like that girl as the helicopter landed beside Mayfield Rd in Brampton. They put a steel blanket on me to protect me from the glass flying in the streets. I thought that was it.

Guess not, I am fine. But a good lesson.

Thanks for posting this Brian. My sister could have wrote that poem. If she were alive to do so. She died in very similar circumstances 36 years ago. I was 13 and she was 15. There are some things in life where time has no meaning. This was one of them. Once again Brian. Thanks Bud...

My sympathies to those personally affected by this, PF and DanC, and apologies for my post for it being insensitive.

You can't get rid of Carter defence or other defences as a solution...dui is a crmiinal record, same type of criminal record as rapists, drug dealers etc. Its very subjective about how impaired is someone is to criminally 'impaired'

Anyone thats had 2 or 3, or as recently shown on global tv, even tied one on and thought they had slept if off overnight, can still be potentially charged with impaired or over 80 the next morning. Amongst the Asian race, due to genetic difference in the ability for alcohol breakdown, even ONE drink can cause legal impairment.

Its one of the most likely criminal offences to be charged against your average 'law abiding' joe citizen.

(My personal opinion is it should be 0% until age 24, once all the hormones are somewhat under control and judgment is not 'teen' level).