What do you have in your emergency kit for ice fishing?

wuchikubo

Do you bring an emergency kit for ice fishing?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you bring an emergency kit for ice fishing?

• Yes
    • No
    • Never thought about it.

Don't forget sunglasses, sunscreen, and bolt cutters in case someone gets stuck with a hook.

Also a scoop to clear your hole and a dip net if you're using minnows.

Something to keep the kids occupied while they're not fishing will help to keep everyone happy.

Hope you and your kids have fun!

Eric

Many years ago (like about 40 or so) when I lived up in French River we didn't have the emergency kits and things availavle that you can get today. I made my own kit for hunting, it was quite simple; wewould take a soup can, one of the large (6-7" tall, 3"dia) we would cut about 2/3 of the way arount the top of the can, fold the lid open and use the soup, then we would make our kit. Water proof matches, candle, strong fishing line, some hooks, a pocket knife, some oxo cubes and jerky, and many of the basic things that have already been mentioned. When our can was full we would then fold the lid back down as best we could and seal it with wax. You had to check the wax before each trip but that was easy enough.

If you did get stuck in the bush, the can served as a pot to boil the water, the fishing line could be used for all sorts of things, the oxo cubes made a nice warm broth to help you warm up if you did get cold. Well, I could go on but you'd be surprised at how much stuff you can put into one of those cans if you pack it carefully. I had a few very comfortable nights in the bush that might not have been enjoyable if I hadn't had that can with me.

Good topic by the way! some wonderful ideas.

Many years ago (like about 40 or so) when I lived up in French River we didn't have the emergency kits and things availavle that you can get today. I made my own kit for hunting, it was quite simple; wewould take a soup can, one of the large (6-7" tall, 3"dia) we would cut about 2/3 of the way arount the top of the can, fold the lid open and use the soup, then we would make our kit. Water proof matches, candle, strong fishing line, some hooks, a pocket knife, some oxo cubes and jerky, and many of the basic things that have already been mentioned. When our can was full we would then fold the lid back down as best we could and seal it with wax. You had to check the wax before each trip but that was easy enough.

If you did get stuck in the bush, the can served as a pot to boil the water, the fishing line could be used for all sorts of things, the oxo cubes made a nice warm broth to help you warm up if you did get cold. Well, I could go on but you'd be surprised at how much stuff you can put into one of those cans if you pack it carefully. I had a few very comfortable nights in the bush that might not have been enjoyable if I hadn't had that can with me.

Good topic by the way! some wonderful ideas.

Thanks Cliff, that was a good suggestion, the only foreseeable problem is that my kids may poke holes in it when I'm not looking. LOL

Don't forget sunglasses, sunscreen, and bolt cutters in case someone gets stuck with a hook.

Also a scoop to clear your hole and a dip net if you're using minnows.

Something to keep the kids occupied while they're not fishing will help to keep everyone happy.

Hope you and your kids have fun!

Eric

Welcome to OFC Eric. It's a great crowd, you should provide an introduction of yourself too.

Thanks for the reminders on the on sun protection. I'd have to check to see if the bolle goggles have decent UV protection, I'd figured that the balaclava hid the skin enough and the long nose plyers in the fishing box would act as the cutters for the hooks. I definitely forgot to put the ice scoop down, thx. I try to use spoons and jigs without live minnows as much as possible. I guess if the kids aren't having fun, I'd pack it in and leave, whiney kids don't make fishing fun :rolleyes:

Stan

Congratulations Stan on your thread ; " emergency ice fishing kits." It had well over 400 hits and gave us all a "heads up" as to what we should carry with us on the ice in case something should go wrong. Maybe even saved someones life.

Congratulations Stan on your thread ; " emergency ice fishing kits." It had well over 400 hits and gave us all a "heads up" as to what we should carry with us on the ice in case something should go wrong. Maybe even saved someones life.

Thanx mukluk, however, I think it is something that everyone should consider at one point. Although we may fish solo from time to time, we are never fishing alone in our fishing community.

As I mentioned before, I'd rather be over prepared than underprepared if an emergency ever does arise. That said, I don't think I'd ever be 100% prepared.

Stan

It's great to have a sled full of comfort & goodies with you. It's a pain to have to drag it around though.

The Inuit would laugh to see all the electronics,etc.

A pocketful of jigs,spoons,etc. A compass around your neck. A warm touque,sunglasses & ice picks on a string.

Matches in a baggie. A knapsack with munchies/drinks/small flashlight/emergency blanket,tp,camera.a plastic bag for your catch of fish. A folding stool to sit on that has a sling to ease carrying it.

Use common sense to notice the weather changes & surroundings. Beware ice over running water. Be safe..have fun.

Edited by danbo

Great thread ... truth is even after over 40 years of doing this the list just keeps growing ... my trunk looks like a army surplus store ... but dont forget the more you drag out the less likely you are to explore :)

Anyhow .. just to add a couple of things ... as a matter of fact I picked some of these up myself at CT this last trip out ...

Flares (2 pack)

Windproof lighter

Reflective safety tape ... in case you are stuck in the 'fast lane' when the sleds are whizzing by after dark

Zip-lock freezer bags (a few) .. they come in real handy to keep your phone and GPS dry in the snow/rain

Axe/hatchet/saw ... I always have one in the trunk ... and have used them MANY times

Spikes and lengths of Rope ... I use these to brace the portable or to anchor stuff in high winds on the ice ...the hatchet also doubles as a hammer :)

snack-maniac.jpg

Thanx Danbo, however, I think if I had all that in the pack, my kids would be on such a sugar high I wouldn't know how to keep them fishing. :rolleyes: I have a float suit, but can't find one small enough for the kids, so life jackets will have to do with the rest of there clothing.

Camillj, I had thought about flares too, but considered them a bit too dangerous with kids around. (might have to rethink about this one)

406_01_survival_eqpt.docAttached is something I dug out from the Course I used to teach for Advanced Winter warfare. Part of the course was survival. We would pair 2 soldiers togeather and Leave them in the Bush for 4 Days 3 nights. They would have only on them is their cloths on their back. One meal pack, a machete, their own survival pack that they were to make on their own. ( For homework each soldier was to make their own kit and turn it in unknowingly they to use it for their excercise). And lastly their sleeping bag with valise. We would Excercise for a week as a group and the last day we would fool the students that they were going back to the base for the weeknd off. Us instruictors would fool them so bad that we had them pack theyre kit on trucks. We would then assemble them and tell them that a plane had just crashed and they had survived. The looks on their faces was priceless. Out came thir survival packs, one meal, and their valise that they packed to go back to base. If they didnt pack right. Too bad too sad. We would then drop them off ever three Kms Blindfolded. Dropped them off and told them that thir movement was one Km Radius. Heres what I observed

1.The best shelter was a snow cave or lean to( A water proof groundsheet was invaluable to water proof

shelter or used as a door). Any other Shelter just took to much energy and resources to make)

2. Out of 20 students say 2 snares per, only 2 Rabbits caught and one Porcupine for a lucky pair ( not good

odds). Some ate their meal that night, others rationed to the last day.

3. The pairs that listened to what was taught, One collects firewood, the other sets snares , looks for water and

food fared the best as long as their shelter was built before dark

4. Smokers were bummed out the most, especially if they had none after running out.

5 At Night, each person had a log or two beside them and just slid them on the fire during the night. A wood

reflector made for the best heat

6. A durable Belt knife could chop small wood. cut foliage, tied as a spear, dig the ground, split wood, Much

better to have than a pocket knife. A machete made the Medics job easier, because if they had an axe, I

sure somebody would be injured. A wire saw worked great could be stored in a small container. safety

pins were used as cloths hangers, trap triggers etc

7. Those that had their survival attitude, enthusiastic, moved around and kept busy. Did well, while others were

close to quiting I'm sure.

8. A change of clothing( some took the hint to hide a change of cloths with their sleeping bag) and Hygiene

not only brought on Morale, but also provided warmth)

9. Safety- We had one person fall through the ice, A burnt sleeping Bag(too close to fire) as well as a few

minor burns and a knife cut)

10. Lastly, a compass, map, can help you avoid a situation, if not lead you to land to survive

picture068cb8.th_1_.jpg

Edited by holdfast

An old indian friend told me many years ago; "it's better to build a small fire and sit close than to build a big fire and sit far away".

I'd forgotten about the cable saw in the survival kit, thanks for the reminder. Since I moved down here I haven't really worried about a "Kit" because I don't travel to far from civilation any more, a compus and a few band aids but today is going to be too cold to do much outside so I think I am going to build a box to fit on my ATV and I'll make a storage compartment in it for a survival kit. Thanks for all the super ideas!

Great post....gonna have to add afew things to my kit I see.

About the only thing I can add is do not place your ice picks in your pocket.

If you fall thru the ice the last thing you will be able to do is open up a pocket and calmly extract your ice picks.

These are designed (at least the type I have) to hang around your neck for instant access.

Having the picks stored anywhere else is probably useless.

If you do not have the style that goes around your neck, I suggest getting a set.

Have a great trip when you do go.

Hookset.