Stuck at Home today

douG

So the fambly is flying apart today with the younguns at work, and the RLG at her sister's place, preparing for the whole fam damly later tonight. I am home without a car, so what do I do? Baked Beans Yea!

2 cups dried navy or black eyed beans or a mix (that's what I did)

1/2 lb of bacon, divided

2 med onions

1 cup tomato puree

2 c low Sodium chicken stock

3 large cloves garlic

Reserved bean water

1 tsp worcestershire sauce

1 tbsp dijon mustard

1/4 tsp thyme

1/4 tsp celery salt

1/4 c molasses]

1/4 c brown sugar

1 tsp crushed chilies

Soak the beans for 24 hours, drain. Add more water to cover and simmer for 1 hour. Drain and reserve the bean water.

Take half the bacon, dice, and fry until crisp. With the other quarter pound, fry until about half of the fat is rendered. Discard the bacon fat.

Dice the onions, and mince the garlic.

Combine the tomato puree, mustard, chicken stock, celery salt, molasses, br sugar, thyme, chilies, WS in a 4 cup measuring cup and put in the microwave, heat until almost boiling.

I like to have everything hot before I combine them, it reduces cooking time greatly.

Alternate beans, onions, garlic and bacon in layers, into a deep pan with a lid. Pour the hot seasoning liquid over the beans and stuff, and top up with some bean water so that the mix is just covered.

Place in a 350 oven, covered, on a baking sheet. Gently cook for 3 hours, replacing liquid as required, using the bean water. For the fourth hour, remove the lid and adjust the liquid as required.

Serve with fresh bread and Strubb's Full Sour dills. A snappy lager goes nicely too.

I'm the same boat DG. So i decided it's time to rack the wine for a second time (made it in Sept/ Oct/Nov) . . . Cleaned / washed everything I needed and off I went; 110 L ready to be had in the next year or so. And yes, I sipped (taste tested) as I went along; but not enough so I couldn't write this post. :rolleyes:

Just about ready to leave the oven, now. You might need to adjust the salt a bit. I try to get a balance with salt, sweet and hot, with plenty o garlic.

Thanks for replies.

I couldn't find a smoked pork hock anywhere, btw. Brian, best to yer mudder.