whitefish

FinS

I get most of my simcoe white fish on salted or live minows fished just off the bottom. But I have had days when spoons were the thing, Swedish Pimple, Kastmaster, Crippled Herring. white fish are supposed to be light hitters but I have seen days when they will hit the spoons hard . I have allways found them on or near bottom .

thanks

i did a little research and a productive way is too chum the area you are going to fish

3-5 days prior

note zone 8 has a catch limit of 25 not like simcoes 2

Hey Rene, yes, chumming a few days prior to fishing pays big dividends.

I'd personally stick with spreaders on the bottom with small lively shiners...

As you know on my lake minnows aren't allowed period.

I love fishing for whitefish up there and have had some success

in the winter jigging a small silver Williams, 8" dropper off the treble

with a pearl tied to it.

Vast majority of the fish were caught on the pearl dropper.

Good luck man, would love to hear how you make out!

fished lake temagami for years

here's what we tend to stick with

For chum take raw spaghetti and break into peices about 1/2-1" long, Then cook. Drain and place pasta in a freezer bag.

I usually then add 3-4 drops of yellow food coloring.

Drill holes in a likely spot, I like flat deep basins 70ft or more with soft or sand bottoms. In each holes take about 1/2 cup of chum and drop into hole. Break up pasta so it sinks as seperate pieces.

I like salted minnows for whitefish. Buy 5-6 dozen small shiners and drain water out completely. Add 1-2 cups of rock salt. I even used road slat in a pinch and it worked.

Fish salted minnow right on bottom on a 2 way spreader and tip up. I even had decent luck using small trout/salmon roe bags

Guest gbfisher
fished lake temagami for years

here's what we tend to stick with

For chum take raw spaghetti and break into peices about 1/2-1" long, Then cook. Drain and place pasta in a freezer bag.

I usually then add 3-4 drops of yellow food coloring.

Drill holes in a likely spot, I like flat deep basins 70ft or more with soft or sand bottoms. In each holes take about 1/2 cup of chum and drop into hole. Break up pasta so it sinks as seperate pieces.

I like salted minnows for whitefish. Buy 5-6 dozen small shiners and drain water out completely. Add 1-2 cups of rock salt. I even used road slat in a pinch and it worked.

Fish salted minnow right on bottom on a 2 way spreader and tip up. I even had decent luck using small trout/salmon roe bags

Try this next time out. Its very cool the way it works...Fill a coffee can 3/4 full of water. Add a cup of rock salt to that. stir. Add a small scoop of minnows to that. When they seems all but dead. little twitch here and there. Let them go in the hole. They will sink like rocks and twitch the hole way down. Even when they are on bottom they try an swim up but float back to the bottom again. Great attractant....That's what I call salty's.... :thumbsup_anim:

GB

That is very cool. I forgot all about this

A buddy and I used to fish with Danny Hale and his dad when they ran their huts on Simcoe. They used to do this in the hut with an old mason jar. They called it East Coast Minnows

Actually brought back a few nice memories

Try this next time out. Its very cool the way it works...Fill a coffee can 3/4 full of water. Add a cup of rock salt to that. stir. Add a small scoop of minnows to that. When they seems all but dead. little twitch here and there. Let them go in the hole. They will sink like rocks and twitch the hole way down. Even when they are on bottom they try an swim up but float back to the bottom again. Great attractant....That's what I call salty's.... :thumbsup_anim:

Yup, that sure works good! Especially in the little red hut :)

Guest gbfisher

Yes .....Slyatv's huts. Thats who showed me!

The real funny part is that I dont even use bait on Simcoe for Perch, Whitefish or Lakers. So the 120 minnow count is easily good for the day be it pinheads or large shinners.

:Gonefishing:

I love this can of minnows idea....forgive me for what may be stupid question, but, do you just send the minnows down the hole, or is the coffeecan/mason jar tied to something so you can lower the whole works? Now that I've asked that out loud, I'm pretty sure you just send the minnows down.... :unsure:

Don't need to lower can/jar down at all. Once "salted" the minnows swim straght down and will struggle around the bottom right below the hut. Mind you the deeper the water, the more the minnows will spread out

Edited by Fang

Well we used to get the shinners and an old pair of scisors,and cut them up !!!!! yes cut them all up,not all the way to mush,just till they are in several pieces including the head,and then of course salt them big time,and pour all that down the hole !!!...man it works,and with all those loose scales and the scent of blood & salt...man the whities will go nuts for sure...it will also work for lake trout !!!! its nice to hear all the different ways to chumm a hole for good old whitefish !!!....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Well we used to get the shinners and an old pair of scisors,and cut them up !!!!! yes cut them all up,not all the way to mush,just till they are in several pieces including the head,and then of course salt them big time,and pour all that down the hole !!!...man it works,and with all those loose scales and the scent of blood & salt...man the whities will go nuts for sure...it will also work for lake trout !!!! its nice to hear all the different ways to chumm a hole for good old whitefish !!!....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Thats the method(except we dont salt them just use one or two every hour or so out of the bucket) we use and then we jig, jig, jig,. Watched it all on the accu view and it sure brought loads of whitefish in.

Edited by Musky or Specks

We use salties and kernal corn to chum .Then usually a two way spreader right on the bottom with a tip up.I have had good luck replacing the original hooks with a small treble with a pearl added .I dont know why but the whities seem to love that little pearl .I hook one treble with a lively minnow right behind the anus upside down and a cheese egg like you would use for salmon fishing on the other treble.

I added a couple of pics of a simple chum can I made with a soup can and wieght .Fill the can 1/2 with chum attach it to your line (heavy action rod) with a snap swivel.Let the can fill with water then let it sick to the bottom.Then at the bottom give your line a quick snap and reel up the can .It dropps the bait exactly where you want it right below you .I find if you just drop bait down the hole any currents can drift your chum quite a far distance from where you are actually are fishing

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j143/JamieJen/DSC01022.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j143/Jam.../DSC01025-1.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j143/JamieJen/DSC01023.jpg

Edited by FISHINGNUT