yearly reel maintenance

tbayboy

Hey everyone, since this is the first year I've owned reels worth more than $30 I figure I should try to take them. I was about to get started cleaning them up but frankly I'm the least mechanically inclined guy in the world so I know if I take them fully apart I'll screw it up putting them back together. After looking over some online guides and the crappy documentation that comes with the reels I'm getting worried that I'll make it worse (I'll use too much oil or grease or use grease in spots that need oil etc etc).

I'm beginning to think it might be worth getting a professional to do it (I'm much better at spending money than learning things myself hehe). Can anyone recommend a service (and some idea of costs for 6 reels)? Alternatively if I can do it myself without having to totally take apart the reels and someone can point me to some really easy to follow tips on where to put oil and grease for both spinning and bait casting reels that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Sean

Thanks for the leads Kevin. Its a mix bag of reels - nothing truly high end so spending a ton on cleaning isn't something I want to do but ruining them myself would obviously be worse. Lets see, there's a couple quantum classic 1421 bait casters (the only ones with a decent diagram of where to put what type of lubricant), a BPS extreme bait caster, a cabela prodigy bait caster (a rebranded daiwa advantage), a couple Shimano Sahara spinning reels and couple other cheap spinning reels (less worried about them)

I used to meticulously take my reels apart and grease them every off season. But I haven't done that in many years. I've never heard of a reel failing from lack of lubrication. I keep an oiler with me for bail lubrication and such. But I haven't been inside any of my reels for a long, long time now.

I screwed up my Daiwa baitcaster royally taking it apart...the guy who used to own the tackle shop on the north side of the bridge at Hastings made it right again...

Now, like Dan all I do is loosen the drags on all my reels at the end of the seasons...

After a few years of service on mine, I open them up and make sure the mini-nuts and bolts are secure add small drop of marine greese and thats about it. oh, like the Guys said losen all the drag for the winter :)

Look at it this way, if you maintained your reels too over perfection you would never need to buy a replacement now what fun would that be :)

Edited by LeXXington

Tb, the 1421's have a lube port, open it up a put a few drops of oil only. Then take the spool out and put a little grease on the ends of the spool shafts, just the ends not the whole shaft, that is all that needed. Personally I have 40 reels at $25 a reel for cleaning, I just taught my self to clean and lube them.

Daniel

Och

Tb, the 1421's have a lube port, open it up a put a few drops of oil only. Then take the spool out and put a little grease on the ends of the spool shafts, just the ends not the whole shaft, that is all that needed. Personally I have 40 reels at $25 a reel for cleaning, I just taught my self to clean and lube them.

Daniel

Och

Thanks for all the input guys. Och - I remember you pointing out the lube port when I bought the 1421s off you. I'll do that and just loosen the drag on the rest. And I think Lexx makes the best point - I don't want them to last too long or i won't have an excuse to go out and get new gear :)