What size kicker?

krawler

Well get a 9.9 high thrust kicker....they are made just for that....no they are not a normal 9.9 they have low rpm...but produce big,time touque,they are made just to be for that reason,i fish salmon on lake o...and about 5 of my friends have them...and its amazing how big a boat that those high thrust motors will push....goo-luck and check them out try the mercury oneyamaha has one too...not too sure about the price but they are very reasonable,maybe even check the prices on the us side as our high dollar you might get a really good deal,as well as being at the end of the year,they will be really wanting to get rid of them....cheers hope this helps.... :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

his boat isn't too big, so i don't think he needs a 9.9..

since it will be more costly to purchase and heavier.

however if he is interested...

i see one on ebay.. 9.9 high thrust yamaha in the states.. $2500, however shipping blah blah blah, might not be worth it.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/YAMAHA-OUTBOARD-MOTOR-N...1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm guessing that a 4 would be working fairly hard to push 3 mph into the wind with some rollers added for good measure.

I'll be using mine for trolling for Musky as well so I will need the extra speed.

If there is someone using a 4 hp on around 1000 lb vessel - it would be great to hear their feedback....

:D

I run a 6 hp yammy on a 23' glass at around 3500 -4000lb, at idle on flat water it will just move the boat. That works well for jigging. trolls walleye nicely does about 7mph wot, about the same as the 7.5 merc that some long fingered f#$% helped himself to. If we did the math 7mph is about the hull speed of a boat this size. If i go to a bigger motor the only advantage would be more control in dirty weather, no real difference in top end as Ive already reached the hull speed and I loose the ability to crawl along dead slow and would burn a little more fuel. I have only had it out on rough water once and abandoned it for the big motor right away because I had a boat load of guys and it was one less thing to screw with.

Question ... Can you get the high thrust option in smaller than a 9.9?

so.. in conclusion.......

you can get away with 5hp and save a few bucks

or

you can grab a 8 or 9.9hp high thrust, for almost double the price but they are superior but not necessary.

you're lucky your parents grabbing you this..

maybe mine will upgrade our caravan to a MDX for me?? hahaha