Guess I need to clean my eavestroughs (NF)

Joey

This is our first winter in this house, and yes I do pay the heating bill. But the roof is not angled it is flat on top and then goes straight down to the eaves. Not much of an attic either (good for Coon eluding :lol: ). I think that's why the icicles are like that. Could be wrong tho and I'll find out next gas bill :blink:

Joey

You want to get them off of there, they will damage the trough if it doesn't rip it down and if they put the trough on good they might pull down the soffit and facia as well. Dig any snow away from the downspout and make sure they are clear or they will freeze up and bust.

If you can't do it yourself someone from the city of Toronto can do it for around $25,000.00

Hey Joey, a good indication of lack of insulation is whether or not you still have snow on that section of roof. If there's snow, your insulation is probably ok.

Ice dams and icicles occur when the roof surface is warm enough to melt snow but the air temperature is cold enough to re-freeze and melt water. Natural weather patterns, building exposure (southern=more sun), roof design and elevated attic temperatures, due to both insulating effects of snow accumulation on the roof and air leakage from the interior of the house.......can contribute to ice forming of roofs and eavestrough.

I highly recommend getting rid of the icicles and clearing your eavestrough. The ice which melts and refreezes during the winter will definately compromise your eavestrough.....making them leak (usually at the joints.....caulking will separate) due to expanding and contracting of ice during those melting and freezing periods.

Jason