Installing VHF radio and antenna

icefisherman

Looking for suggestions on where would be best place to mount my new VHF radio and 8' antenna.

My new Cobra radio came with 8' Shakespeare antenna and ratchet mount.

Are you mounting the radio on the dash or under it?

I've been reading over last few days about the antenna have to be more then 3 meters away from people, etc. Not sure if this is possible on a 17'2" boat...if anyone have pictures of their VHF radio/antenna mounted on the boat I'd appreciate posting it.

Thanks,

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Can't give you a picture right now, but my antenna(8') is mounted on a stainless ratchet mount on the right rear corner of the boat, the radio sits in a quick release box(out of the rain/sun) mounted on the downrigger plank, wiring runs as far away as I can get it from other electronics.

also, pay attention to where covers and tops sit and snap on so the antenna will not be in the way both when it's laying down and standing up

and where you are going to be casting, if it's to the back of were someone will be casting they will hook it.

Thanks for the input guys. But this seems to be the problem...if I install the antenna on the bow it maybe in the way when I fold it down - will probbaly end up been in the middle of the boat not supported and could brake during transportation.

If I put it in the back of the boat it'll interfere with casting in the rare cases I cast from the back of the boat. It'll also be in the way of the mast cables when turning the boat.

If I put it next to the windshield on the driver side it'll be too close to me...

Doesn't look like I can win this one <_<:wallbash:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I have the VHF mounted under the dash, just below the steering wheel.

The fishing sonar is on top of the dash.

The vhf antenna is mounted to the right side of the dash on a wider section of gunnel

which supports the dash. It folds towards the rear of the boat, but short of the transom.

Not really anywhere else that it would make sense as far as I can see.

So far, planer mast lines haven't been a problem. When the line gets to the antenna, you adjust the steering accordingly.

Haven't had a problem with reception, but I guess it's better to keep the radio and antenna as far from other wiring as possible.

"If I put it next to the windshield on the driver side it'll be too close to me..."

Are you afraid of radio waves or something, There are lots of guys here that can make you a tin hat.

Could you mount it at the top of the planer mast? Might get you a mile more range.

Thats where I'd like to put mine but If I forget to take the mast down it would be in to the hydro wires on the way home. I forgot to take the mast down last July, I don't know if I pulled down some phone lines or not but there were a lot of leaves on it.

"If I put it next to the windshield on the driver side it'll be too close to me..."

Are you afraid of radio waves or something, There are lots of guys here that can make you a tin hat.

Well I am not sure what to be afraid of any more but here is what I've read about the VHF antenna and safety:

Safety. There is a safety concern - at least from this boat owner's point of view - about electromagnetic radiation from the antenna. Most radio manufacturers will recommend one to three meters separation between occupants and the antenna. This may be difficult to achieve on a small boat., While you might minimize this problem by using a lower gain antenna to reduce the ERP, this is no assurance that you are safe from excessive electromagnetic radiation. The only safe practice is to read and heed the VHF radio manufacturer's safety instructions.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Thats the first Ive heard that one.

The question of the safety of radar units in the canal systems came up at a power squadron event. A gentleman had witnessed a boater using his radar while tied to the wall and the beam would be hitting the canal attendant beside the boat. A member of the OPP marine unit was at the squadron meeting and said that they had looked into this and were assured there was no risk to them. Small marine radar runs 2-4Kw while our vhf runs 25w. But the OPP say a taiser won't kill you too.

If you put an egg between two transmitting cell phones it will cook the egg sooner or later but the egg doesn't have a cooling system like a body does..

Don't worry about mounting too close... you've got 1.5 kids already ;)

When you transmit on VHF you're only transmitting at 3-5 watts unless you are making a distress call or manually transmit on high power at 25 watts. Either way it's not enough to harm you for the odd time you will be using it. There are no emissons having the radio on or recieving.

Mount to you gunwale with the option of folding the antenna forward or backward depending on the type of fishing you will be doing. If you're casting, fold it back and out of the way. If you're rigging, have it up or fold it forward.

The only thing I would caution is mounting the antenna, radio and cable away from electronics and compasses. For your boat I think I would mount the antenna on the left side on the gunwale exactly half way between the front and back. Mount your radio inside the glovebox suspended from the underside of the dash.

You have a battery there, it's away from your other electronics, protected from weather and away from little fingers. You can also mount an external speaker if you don't want to leave the glove box door open.

It would be quick and easy to install, Wayne will probably do it for ya! ;)

-Brian

If you have a concern of it being to close but it being the best place to put the antenna remember the only time it will radiate is when you are transmitting. Chose the channel then step back 3 feet and then transmit could be your answer.

Art

Hey Brian,

lets be precise here please...it is more like 1 7/8 not 1.5 :thumbsup_anim:

Now....as you know I have that small, convertable antenna for the regular radio on the gunwell right next to the left windshield. Would that be too close to the proposed location of the VHF antenna on the left gunwell and the VHF radio inside the glove compartment?

Also the battery that is under the glove compartment is for the trolling motor and will be rarely used....if connecting the VHF radio to it will I also need to make sure this battery gets charged all the time by the trolling motor so it doesn't go dead on me after 8 hours of fishing on lake O.?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Hey Brian,

lets be precise here please...it is more like 1 7/8 not 1.5 :thumbsup_anim:

Now....as you know I have that small, convertable antenna for the regular radio on the gunwell right next to the left windshield. Would that be too close to the proposed location of the VHF antenna on the left gunwell and the VHF radio inside the glove compartment?

Also the battery that is under the glove compartment is for the trolling motor and will be rarely used....if connecting the VHF radio to it will I also need to make sure this battery gets charged all the time by the trolling motor so it doesn't go dead on me after 8 hours of fishing on lake O.?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

It's getting close... we'll be waiting for your next report "5lb 4oz Keeper" and we'll be wondering baby or laker. I know you'll be happy either way as long as it's healthy! :P

It will interfere with AM/FM Radio reception when you are transmitting but I would expect the radio would be turned down or off if you are trying to call someone on the VHF. There won't be interference if you're just listening to the VHF and it won't harm anything.

You can run it to you trolling motor battery or off your main battery - your AM/FM will have 12V power from the main battery and you can tap into that source. This might be getting a little beyond Wayne's expertise - maybe I'll come down and help you with it!

-Brian

This might be getting a little beyond Wayne's expertise - maybe I'll come down and help you with it!

-Brian

It sure is getting close :rolleyes: That's why I am trying to do as much as I can before ...as who knows how much time I'll have after.... :whistling:

And my invitation still stands...infact a friend of mine will be here on Sunday with his soldering-iron on Sunday to help me out soldering the wires...So I'd say.....tomorrow is the day Brian....you and the wife...you know the place...just let me know the time :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

It sure is getting close :rolleyes: That's why I am trying to do as much as I can before ...as who knows how much time I'll have after.... :whistling:

And my invitation still stands...infact a friend of mine will be here on Sunday with his soldering-iron on Sunday to help me out soldering the wires...So I'd say.....tomorrow is the day Brian....you and the wife...you know the place...just let me know the time :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I get to work on my boat tomorrow! I have to get it ready for storage while I still can. The ice and snow is melting nicely today.

DANG... didn't even realize I'm advertising to keep Cliff in employement in that shot. Free garbage bags!

Part of the other side... (shot while doing 80mph it appears - 1800 feet up)

panel-3.jpg

Emil, don't worry about drilling holes. If you make a mistake, that's where you put a rod holder.

Sounds like a very experienced statement Emil... get Brian to help you drill twice... :thumbsup_anim::w00t::P:D:lol:

Edited by irishfield

Hey guys,

I haven't got to the point of asking how to wire both batteries to be charged by the kicker motor. This will be in a separate post soon. By the time I am done I hope I don;t end up having more rod holders then rods :clapping:

It is fact though Brian helped drilling the first holes into my old boat and mounting of pair of rod holders on it.

But now 3 years later and more expereienced then ever we should do better Brian :whistling:

Sooooooo.....when should I expect you with the Lady? Next weekend?

You are not hiding her are you?

Spaghetti out of this world and good imported beer are on the menu :thumbsup_anim:

Wayne could come (of fly in) too ha ha ha...comparing notes helps alot.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

DANG... didn't even realize I'm advertising to keep Cliff in employement in that shot. Free garbage bags!

Part of the other side... (shot while doing 80mph it appears - 1800 feet up)

panel-3.jpg

Sounds like a very experienced statement Emil... get Brian to help you drill twice... :thumbsup_anim::w00t::P:D:lol:

I don't know where you're getting those CTC garbage bags for free, they usual cost me about $40!

I have had my share of experience working around holes that other people have drilled for accessories or by mistake. I'm pretty anal about it when I drill. In fact, when I mounted my VHF antenna I did it so it could be removed and utilize the holes for an additional set of 24" tracks. I will probably move my 24's forward and replace them with 36's for the riggers and saltys. The 24's will be for front rod holders and a quick release VHF antenna mount.

Now I just have to find a solution for all the holes in my fiberglass console. Do you have a source for brushed aluminium? I was thinking a thin gauge overlay glued on the surface.

-Brian

Hey guys,

I haven't got to the point of asking how to wire both batteries to be charged by the kicker motor. This will be in a separate post soon. By the time I am done I hope I don;t end up having more rod holders then rods :clapping:

It is fact though Brian helped drilling the first holes into my old boat and mounting of pair of rod holders on it.

But now 3 years later and more expereienced then ever we should do better Brian :whistling:

Sooooooo.....when should I expect you with the Lady? Next weekend?

You are not hiding her are you?

Spaghetti out of this world and good imported beer are on the menu :thumbsup_anim:

Wayne could come (of fly in) too ha ha ha...comparing notes helps alot.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I wouldn't bother with the front battery charging from the kicker. A good deep cycle battery should run your electric trolling motor all day. If you just wanted to connect anything else to it (VHF) it would last considerably longer.

If you have your heart set on charging it you can add a battery switch.

I don't know when my wife and I could make it to your place. She works friday nights/saturday days and some sundays. I work Sundays. The next day we have off together is Dec. 23 and we'll be at Lake Simcoe. I haven't been hiding her but maybe I should! When I took her to the London swill, JohnF was hitting on her. It worked out well for everyone however - she was flattered and occupied with JohnF while I could talk about fishing with the guys who actually do fish!! ;)

We'll get together one of these days!

-Brian