Boat rivet repairs

Fisherpete

It is not a public parking lot, it is private! I have been charged before (not at vaughan mills) for something similiar. In the end I took the charge to court and beat it, either way it is only a ticket for like $125. Could still be worth the attention you will draw, I would do it!

Lostchild technically you right it is private property but I guess you missed the part about him going into BPS and purchasing a small item that act on his part gives him the right to park there..... as long as he had a valid receipt dated that day I don't see a cop charging him with "tresspassing" as he was shopping if people happen to see what happens with his boat that is another matter entirely.... You can't stop people from rubber necking at anything that looks interesting LOL. Ever drive on the 400?

Don't worry, I will not be doing the water fill demonstration in their parking lot any time soon, it's just not my style. I will be emailing all the execs on Monday and trying the more diplomatic approach.

Here's the summary if anyone missed something along the way... I bought the boat, used and a little over 1 year old, in a private sale from a guy this May. He had the boat in his apartment building's underground parking, where it had been stored for the winter, so I did not have a chance to take the boat on the water for a leak test, my bad, but the boat-motor-trailer + ton of accesories was a really good deal regardless, so I still took it. I switched the boat's license to my name the next day and got my plates for the trailer. I was given the original bill of sale, and manufacturers statement of origin, but no warranty documents. I went to the Tracker website, looked up the specs on the boat, and saw that the boat has a 5 year riveted structural warranty. First time on the water, I notice some water in the bottom of the boat, but because I have some plywood & marine carpeted flat floors down, I wasn't too concerned, and actually thought that the water may have come over the transom in when I was reversing (it was choppy out). After a few more trips, and water getting in even on calm days, I began to think the boat may have a leak. It is now probably July or August. Some time in September, after coming home from a day on the lake, I decided to take the garden hose and put some water in the boat to see if there was a leak, and was shocked to see an entire row of rivets dripping away under the boat. Well, my thinking at this point is that I have dealt with the water all summer, I am not missing fall Muskie season, I might as well fish until closing and then bring the boat in to Tracker/BPS to see what they can do for me. Last week, I contacted Jill Salkeld (Tracker Rep at Vaughn BPS), and she asked me to bring in the boat, which I did. She took a few pictures of the boat, to email to Tracker, and informed me that I needed to switch over the warranty to my name. She gave me a number to call (Tracker US), which I did, and that is where the trouble began. This is where I was informed that there is a policy whereby there is only a 60 day window from date of purchase to transfer the warranty over to my name. I voiced my displeasure regarding the entire manner, and mentioned that in MY line of work, there are policies, but in order to keep a good customer happy (I told them how much I honestly spend at BPS), rules can be bent at times. They should stand behind the quality of their product, not the steadfastness of policy. She said she would speak to her supervisor and ask if he could do anything for me. He simply said no. As one of you mentioned, for them to save a few hundred on a relatively simple repair, how much potential $ could they now stand to lose from negative word of mouth?

So, here we are. On Monday, the email will go out, and I hope that they will be able to help me out. I really do like the boat, apart from the indoor swimming pool LOL, and they still have the chance to turn this "ow" into a "wow", and maybe keep me (and maybe some of you) as a future customer. We shall see... if not, maybe I will be seeing what Wayne's shop looks like...

To be continued...

when i bought my crestliner some 10yrs ago it had a few leaky rivets instead of pining the rivets i drilled them out coated both sides of the hole with j.b weld used two washer a lock washer and a cap screw (allen key head) this method worked great 10yrs later and still no leaks from the repaired rivets.i do however have leaks from other rivets but now i live with it i only get about a litre of water in the boat after a days fishin.but before u fix anything remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease hound the crap out of tracker eventually the will get sick of u and probally fix the rivets.

FP...

Here is a link I thought you may find helpful.. it is from a pro consumer site... It will explain in detail what you should and should not do.. in regards to your EECB...

http://consumerist.com/consumer/how-to/how...bomb-259713.php

Gerritt.

I should also mention... Tracker Marine is tmrc llp Google it :)

Edited by Gerritt

In the first post Fisherpete mentioned that it was Tracker policy that boat warranties had to be transfered within 60 days.

My experience with policies is that companies enforce them when convenient but also ignore them when convenient (even when screwing over a customer).

Policies are more of an ethics thing and a way of keeping a business profitable. Can anyone tell me why a company would make a policy like this? Is its sole purpose to get them out of the liability of their own bad workmanship? Electronic, a large appliance and other companies do not enforce this type of Bull, how to boat companies get away with it?

forrest

P.S. I like the idea of contacting the owner and having him sell it back for a $1. On the surface it sounds like they made a dud, hope it works out.

Sounds like the original owner knew he had a problem which is now your problem... not very cool. If it leaked the first day you took it out I can guarantee it leaked the last day he took it out as well.

Bottom line is that this has absolutely nothing to do with BPS like it has already be mentioned. I would be going after the guy that sold it to you but it should have been done ASAP, not after fishing for a year with it.

JP

My letter has been emailed today to all the Tracker execs that Gerritt listed, I am leaving it up to them whether they want to bend the rules a bit, back the quality of their product and create a possible customer for life, or choose to uphold a fine-print policy and lose one (well, probably lots actually). Stay tuned...

I wish you the best of luck with Tracker, however you have to face the fact of that you will likely be responsible for the repair and pay for it out of your own pocket, after all you bought a used product.

Chances are the boat was sold because of this problem and you are the recipient of this misfortune. You cannot hold Tracker liable for this repair because it is stated in print that the warranty must be transferred to your name within 60 days, no ifs buts or maybes. I agree it is not good for you and you do whatever you can to get them to pay up however 60 days should be enough time to read all the fine print and ensure that you comply correctly. Remember business is built on the belief that most items are held onto for about 5 years then sold and then they are generally off the hook as far as warranties.

If Tracker does come through for you great! :thumbsup_anim: but chances are that Wayne is going to have another boat to fix before next the fishing season.

Next time buy new, there are reasons why used is cheaper.

If the guy who sold it to you lied about about the leaks, how do you know he never hit something? How would Tracker know? I think it should be his problem to help you get satisfaction or pay for the repairs properly at Wayne's. Great offer Wayne, truly a good gesture and a benefit for the Cancer Society too.

I would make sure the guy who sold it to you is doing his damnedest to help you out of this situation.

I hope it works out, our boats are expensive enough at the best of times when things are going good.

They say the two best days of boat ownership are the days you buy it and the day you sell it. Trials like this are what make that true...

Charles

Ask the guy you bought it from to null the sale then buy it back (all for $1.00) then transfer the warranty and start all over again.Since they say it wasn't transfered, it must still be valid in the previous owners name. There's no way for tracker to know when you bought the bought in a private sale.

Ok, thats freakin brilliant. Other than not being able to get a hold of the person, Ricks plan should work.

If it's just rivets you are likely much better off doing the work yourself. I've read numerous reports of guys having their rigs held up for extended periods of time for repairs only to get them back and find the workmanship 2nd rate. Why Tracker can't figure out that fishermeen talk I don't know. Not too much to fixing rivets as long as you have a heated garage. You'll probably find others that are defective but still in place that their repair center won't even bother to replace.

Well, I am still in email limbo at the moment - I did hear back from a few of the Tracker execs that I sent my letter to, and it did sound encouraging - but nothing to tell as of yet. I'll keep you posted...

Atta boy! hope it works out for you.

G.