Windy Fishing - Steelhead Report

ccmtcanada

After reading all those amazing posts from Solopaddler, I knew I had to get out and fish with him again. The weather was iffy, so we didn't make a final decision on where to go until yesterday afternoon. It was another early morning (when isn't it when fishing with him??? LOL), and we got to our destination as the sun was coming up.

Anyhow, at first light, the winds were not too bad, but we knew they'd come blowing as the day went on. He caught and landed the first fish....but he was too far away from me, so there is no pic. Had to have been a good sized one though, knowing him.

A few minutes later, I see my float go under, and I set the hook. I hear the drag getting a workout and saw this fish jump 5 or 6 times right out of the water. It was a pretty good fight and I finally landed it...a decent sized one, with a healing sore on it's belly.

cliff1.jpg

About 15 minutes later, this little guy takes my float down....

cliff2.jpg

The winds soon kicked up and it was nearly impossible to even cast. A few times my line would go out...hit the wind and then land 3 feet in front of me...LOL. I was also almost blown over a few times and into the water...but caught myself at the last second. I look over at Solopaddler and he's there chuckling at me....he said that that would have made the fishing trip to him seeing me swimming...nice guy eh? He's just bitter because I outfished him! I better enjoy this, cause it'll never happen again...LOL.

Way to go guys......Hey Cliff.....I would have paid money to see you fall in... :clapping::stretcher::clapping: hehehehe. Just joking....congrats on the fish....atleast you found open water and not ice again!! :wallbash:

Hey Mike.....I took your advice on those Cloudveil's...couldn't turn down the price. Ended up with boots, waders, and jacket. Thanks for the tip.....saved me a small fortune.

Jason

I look over at Solopaddler and he's there chuckling at me....he said that that would have made the fishing trip to him seeing me swimming...nice guy eh? He's just bitter because I outfished him! I better enjoy this, cause it'll never happen again...LOL.

LOL!, yeah that WAS kinda funny almost seeing you get blown into the water, HAHAHA! What are you made of, paper mache?

Now that I see the true Cliff, the uber competitive step in front of you to get the prime drift Cliff, I'll know better for the next time. Fear not it's game on buddy, I'll ramp it up on the next outing! :P

(Seriously, it was a fun day nonetheless, you're a good man.)

Way to go guys......Hey Cliff.....I would have paid money to see you fall in... :clapping::stretcher::clapping: hehehehe. Just joking....congrats on the fish....atleast you found open water and not ice again!! :wallbash:

Hey Mike.....I took your advice on those Cloudveil's...couldn't turn down the price. Ended up with boots, waders, and jacket. Thanks for the tip.....saved me a small fortune.

Jason

Awesome bud, you won't be sorry!

On a side note I picked up some trout sized plastic egg clusters down in NY that might work for molds.

Cliff will drop them off for you.

Cheers

Good stuff, Cliff. Ummmm, how do you keep your rod cork so clean?

You're s'posed to buy a new rod when the cork gets dirty Roy!...

Actually I think he makes Carole take all of his fish off the hook so he doesn't have to get his hands slimey and mess up his rod cork!

Actually...this is a new float rod...only used it about 5 times. When I went fishing with Solopaddler for the first time last month, he plastic was still on the bottom part of the cork...and he made fun of me for it...LOL.

If you look carefully, there is still plastic on the top part.....

And...Carole only takes fish off my hook when I forget my gloves and sanitizer at home. :P

LOL!, yeah that WAS kinda funny almost seeing you get blown into the water, HAHAHA! What are you made of, paper mache?

Now that I see the true Cliff, the uber competitive step in front of you to get the prime drift Cliff, I'll know better for the next time. Fear not it's game on buddy, I'll ramp it up on the next outing! :P

(Seriously, it was a fun day nonetheless, you're a good man.)

Ok then...bring it on!!! Does that mean you wont tie my leaders, add the shot and point to where I should drift? LOL