Fishing Etiquette

addict

Was fishing down at the local steelie spot when some young guy decides to practically stand on top of me.if i set the hook sideways i would have poked his eyes out.there was more than enough room in this area but still decides to get so close i dont know about you but unless i know the guy or start chatting with him i give a man his space.apparently this guy has no etiquette,he did the same thing to cliff and basskicker.i seen him again on friday asked him if they were biting and he said he missed 2 hits.he blamed it on "to many guys fishing there,because of internet posts".after him and his buddy left i was alone and had the whole place to myself.does this sound like an over crowded spot,do internet posts affect trout migration?do the trout stage in the lake and say to each other hey dont swim that trib i heard there was internet pics and guy fishing.just for the record this is no secret spot and ive only posted one pic of salmon with no evident backround so to the lurker with no etiquette get your facts straight and give a guy a little room to fish.ignorance and poor etiquette get my blood hot,does anybody else feel this way?

Why I stopped stream fishing 22 or so years ago ! And don't miss it one bit.

Depends on where you fish Wayne.

I'd be happy to guide you for a day with lots of fish and no people :) .

In response to the thread, the lack of etiquette is a common problem on our crowded rivers and has been since long before the internet was around.

In fact, as far as Ontario rivers go I'll go so far as to say that if anything the crowds were worse back in the 70's when I started to fish steelhead.

Back then the crowds at places like Thornbury, Meaford, Southampton and Port Hope were utterly ridiculous (and I've got the pic's to prove it :) ).

Hey, there's nothing more annoying than getting greased out of a spot you're fishing but what can you do? :dunno:

The only answer is drive a little further and put in the footwork and walk a little further to escape the pressure.

The only answer is drive a little further and put in the footwork and walk a little further to escape the pressure.

That's not the only answer. Do as my buddy Float does and bark at 'em, throw 'em in the river, cut their lines and threaten to call the MNR if they're doing anything like snaggin'. My first experience on the Ganny in the "Biway hole" 3 dirt munching greasy bizitches were weighted rig treble hooking and snagging shlamo's amongst a handful of float fishers and me fly fishing. Kev gave them one warning on a foul hooked fish they were playing while I was working a legal fish on the fly. They had no control on the fish and didn't listen to Kev so he cut their line, then threatened to call the MNR or snap their rod if they did it again. He was instantly me hero. :w00t:

Here's a thought... in the off season spend it lifting weights everyday. Then the next time someone get's too close move right into him. I mean right into him so you're pretty much on him. If he moves, move with him. If he casts, stand right in front of his rod and him... like 6 inches from his body not touching him. Grease him like he's never been greased before. Maybe he'll take a swing so be ready to dodge that then rip him apart.

The days of manners are fast slipping by. Boaters are in your boat if they see you catch a fish, and shore anglers are on your shoes if you're in a spot first and catching fish. It's a big fishing planet but it's being over run with impolite weekend warriors that gotta get theirs, get it quick, and those be damned who step in the way. No MNR to help people need to arm themselves with wit, bigger muscles. ;)

That's not the only answer. Do as my buddy Float does and bark at 'em, throw 'em in the river, cut their lines and threaten to call the MNR if they're doing anything like snaggin'. My first experience on the Ganny in the "Biway hole" 3 dirt munching greasy bizitches were weighted rig treble hooking and snagging shlamo's amongst a handful of float fishers and me fly fishing. Kev gave them one warning on a foul hooked fish they were playing while I was working a legal fish on the fly. They had no control on the fish and didn't listen to Kev so he cut their line, then threatened to call the MNR or snap their rod if they did it again. He was instantly me hero. :w00t:

Here's a thought... in the off season spend it lifting weights everyday. Then the next time someone get's too close move right into him. I mean right into him so you're pretty much on him. If he moves, move with him. If he casts, stand right in front of his rod and him... like 6 inches from his body not touching him. Grease him like he's never been greased before. Maybe he'll take a swing so be ready to dodge that then rip him apart.

The days of manners are fast slipping by. Boaters are in your boat if they see you catch a fish, and shore anglers are on your shoes if you're in a spot first and catching fish. It's a big fishing planet but it's being over run with impolite weekend warriors that gotta get theirs, get it quick, and those be damned who step in the way. No MNR to help people need to arm themselves with wit, bigger muscles. ;)

I'm a lover not a fighter so that wouldn't work for me :) .

Not sure if your reffering to me or not. Im assumign you are but I never thought we had any conflicts the first day I fished with you? We talked the majority of the afternoon and maybe I can't interpret people very well but I didn't get the idea you had a problem with me fishing there... Lots of room to fish down there and I didnt have any idea I was intruding on your space? kinda limited room to cast from there but an ample amount fo water.

I wasn't the one who made the remark about the internet things but I kinda agree with what my buddy said. As you mentioned there are not alot of people at that particular peice of water and it would be nice if it stayed that way so the couple of semi local guys can fish it without a crowd like many other spots on the river. I think he was referring to the pics basskicker threw up where there is a bit of a noticeable backgorund but again it isnt blatantly obviuos where the fish were caught.

I fish that section 7 days a week and dont have a problem if you wanna come fish 2' beside me especially if we are talking and I assume we are getitng along ok. Why didnt you say something at the time then if you had a problem?

If you wanted some space you shoulda said something, the way we were talking I thought you were ok and there was ample room. You have to remeber there is MAYBE 15' of land to cast to that spot. I dont see it as greasing at all when there is a good 120' of water to drift...not like its shoulder to shoulder

Nate

Edited by Nater

You probably fish the eastern tribs and they are like that unfortunately. I don't think violence is the answer. The one thing is maybe this guy is crowding you hoping you will leave, and I personally wouldn't give him the satisfaction. If he tries to take your drift away cast over his line and continue fishing . My personal favourite was the guy with the float reel that shows up and goes to the top of the pool and decides to drift the whole pool, and cut the drift off for the rest of the people in the pool. Again my solution was to cast over their line and keep fishing.

The thing is it wasn't like that at all. The drift has the equivalent speed of a pond and when your floats are 20' apart minimum its not like your crowding someone....and what is with the affixiation on "those guys with float reels" seen plenty of goofs with spinning reels do the same thing. The guys drifting the whole pool are assuming everyone will follow suit... guy at the bottom tosses to the top then the 2nd guy from the bottom and so on allowing everyone to cover the pool and fish in unison. Despite what soem may think we aren't in Alaska or BC. lots of fisherman and very little water. Quit being so damn bitter and make the best of it

Nate

Edited by Nater

The thing is it wasn't like that at all. The drift has the equivalent speed of a pond and when your floats are 20' apart minimum its not like your crowding someone....and what is with the affixiation on "those guys with float reels" seen plenty of goofs with spinning reels do the same thing. The guys drifting the whole pool are assuming everyone will follow suit... guy at the bottom tosses to the top then the 2nd guy from the bottom and so on allowing everyone to cover the pool and fish in unison. Despite what soem may think we aren't in Alaska or BC. lots of fisherman and very little water. Quit being so damn bitter and make the best of it

Nate

Relax Nate, I don't think this was a personal attack on you or even guys that use float reels, but it soon could be if you continue in this vein.

You have a point but that's not the way to make it.

Don't take everything so personally....

I can't see how it wouldn't be personal seeing as while we were talking that day I mentioned I read and wasnt exactly a fan of doing reports. So Im sure he knew I'd read it on here. I just dotn understand coming to the internet and clearly trying to make an example of someone when at the river you just played it off like everything is cool and going great. The human race is confusing.

Nate

Edited by Nater

I have NEVER said anything negative before on ANY board and I hate to rant, but.......... I realise that I DO NOT own the river, or the spot for that matter. However a little fishing etiquette (respect for other anglers) on your part would be greatly appreciated in the future. We both know that fish hold in that ENTIRE stretch of river, you could probably put 50-60 anglers one one side of that river........why is it that you and your friend choose to fish so close when there is over 500ft of shoreline? You guys simply walked up, and through your lines in right where we were fishing like we never even existed. You impeded on my drift on several occasions. You were that close that if I set the hook to the left I would have hit you.

As you say....." Lots of room to fish down there and I didnt have any idea I was intruding on your space? kinda limited room to cast from there but an ample amount fo water." You have to remeber there is MAYBE 15' of land to cast to that spot. I dont see it as greasing at all when there is a good 120' of water to drift...not like its shoulder to shoulder"

These are your words, exact same situation on 2 different days with 2 different people. Limited room to cast? Come on man, there's an entire section of river.

I can't speak for others, only myself. Maybe a simple hello, how's it going......do you mind if we fish here....would go along way. Listen man, just have a little respect for others on the river, treat other's like you would like to be treated.

As for the pics.......if you can recognize the river and the spot from the pics then you have already been there before. I'll be down there all day Wednesday if you would like to join me.

Enough about that.....I've been working on some new custom handpoured baits lately....what do you think?

IMG_08821.jpg

IMG_08871.jpg

IMG_08921.jpg

Jason

Last month I was fishing for salmon in BC. For most of the trip we were pretty spread out but on the last day we headed up to the "Limit Hole" which was the last fishable pool before the sanctuary.

Anyway, I've never seen anything crazier. There were fisherman every 5 feet or less casting into this pool. It was like a war zone. You'd see 10 casts fire out at the same time and as they floated down, another 10 would go right over them.

For a while, FISH ON would get everyone to bring in their lines but as the light started to wane, people just kept firing their casts over everything.

There was lines in the water, casts from both banks, triple headers, huge fish randomly jumping through the whole mess, tangled lines, fish being landed, gutted, cooked, guys going, more guys coming, etc. It was a total zoo.

And the best part was, maybe there was 50+ guys there, and not only locals but tourists as well, from all points on the globe and with all the tangled lines, casting over someone else's line, etc. in five hours or more, I did not see one person get the least bit upset. They'd just untangle you, or you would untangle them and keep casting.

The salmon (maybe three species of them and HUGE) were stacked 10 deep in this pool and it was smiles all around.

As much as its hard to believe, it was about as much fun as I have had fishing in years.

Sure there is plenty of water but we both know that the area you guys were fishing is the holding spot and there isn't much room... Like you said you don't own the river so I dont see how we should have asked permission? I think there is plenty of room down there for lots of guys to fish as it isn't exactly a fast flow. All depends what you call ettiquette, had the shoe been on the other foot I could care less if you guys wanted to come down and fish off the point, and i wouldnt be upset if you didnt choose to tell me your lifes story because not everyone is social.

Nate

I'm sure I'll see ya wednesday

Jason...I have to admit that I couldn't figure out why they decided to fish literally 5 feet from you either that day I was with you, when we were the only two on that entire stretch of water. But then again, some people I dont understand.

Those plastics look amazing!!! Imagine if they work...never having to tie roe bags ever again!!!