Minn Kota or Motor Guide

Fishmaster

Hey steve are you sure you want to go,any lower thrust that at least a 55lb...you said for the niagara,well wouldnt the current just over-power a 40lb motor,i would think that you need a 60lb minimum for the strong currents its better to work your motor at maybe a medium setting than having a 40-50lb going full blast ,that would eat even more battery power than one thats 75lb and only working at 1/2 throttle right?????i use a 55lb in the ottawa river and alot of times its full blast to hold me steady in 5mph current...so next time i get a trolling motor im going with more power than what i think will do the job....as for what brand i have had both...and depending on what options you want i guess ita amatter of confidence....i have never had a trolling motor problem ever so i guess its a personal choice,good0luck in that... :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Edited by fishindevil

I fish the niagara, on the upper river and own a 48 lb trust motorguide and two battery. Depending on the speed of the on going current for the particular day. My electrice motor is sufficient, but at times it is useless at maximum speed. The 16' fiberglass that I am using hardly moves against the current. Though I have two deep cycle battery, the electric motor does not have the power to move the boat against the current in some areas of the river.

For maximum efficiency, usage and safety on this river. I would want to own a more powerful electric motor.

For other river , a 40lb thrust is sufficient.

For durability, I have never had a problem with it.

Go with a higher lb thrust for that current. If you'll be vertical jigging then go with a cable steer motor. Cable steer responds quicker & will keep you over the fish.

I've used both Minn Kota & Motorguides & when it comes to going though weeds the Minn Kota kicks Motorguide's :asshat: . I've had the 50 lb Minn kota on my boat for 10 years now & I abuse it on a regular basis & it hasn't stopped working yet. My buddy replaced his 2nd Motorguide with a Minnkota last year & now he is much happier.

I'll NEVER be attached to a foot pedal..ever again. Motorquide wireless for me.

Minn Kota has wireless Wayne, plus in my opinion a far superior motor.

Funny, this debate comes up about once or twice a year and is similar to the good ol' Chevy vs Ford rivalry.

John...

Hey steve,i was just reading up on the new motor guide digital,trolling motor check it out man its real state of the art...and its all digital...talk about contour following man thats the ultimate trolling motor,with built in transducers,man its a sweet unit,just thought i would pass that on to you,