Where would you live if you could live anywhere

grt1

Guess like a few here I'm fortunate as I like where we live along the Southern end of Lake Huron as much now as I did when we moved here over 25 years ago. I would like to perhaps try the Mountains in B.C. but age and health kind of kicks that off the plate. In the North I like the Noelville and the Elk Lake area but with the family firmily entrenched around us I wouldn't want to miss watching the grandkids grow up so here we will stay for now.

Next door to Lew? at the cottage not T-town! Moving is a big issue, especially if you expect it to be your last move.

Big cities seem to be magnets for crime, and the taxes tend to be higher. Retirement issues, will you need to continue working? Family support network? Just to give an example, one of my buddies parents moved to South Carolina about 10 years ago, no family down there, illness forced them back. Family had trouble dropping everything and going down there to care for them.

The older you get the less mistakes you want to make moving.

Except for the wintertime, I live now where I wanted to be after retirement...somewhere I could be fishing in fifteen minutes...10 minutes outside of town (Bobcaygeon/Buckhorn) and a little more than half an hour to P'Boro or Lindsay...only real drawback is no family doctors...have to drive to Richmond Hill (2 hours) to see ours for check-ups etc.

Florida is nice as far as fishing is concerned but too damn hot...maybe Garry2rs has the best idea...Arizona !

I would pick Saltspring Island off of Vancouver island. It's big enough that it has decent shopping. Great summer climate and just a little less damp then Vancouver. If you miss the snow, head to Whistler. You are a short ferry ride away from awesome saltwater fishing and freshwater fishing. There is even decent fishing on the island. Just a very beautiful corner of this world.

A friend of mine moved there a few years back. Loves it. It does sound a tad pricey though.

JF

Damnit Dan. Now you've got me checking the thunder by job ads again :(. I've lived in a few spots in southern ontario over the last decade and this year I've learned just how great the fishing down here can be but it just takes one summer day back in NW ontario to have me ready to pack it all up and move (I'll pretend to ignore the winters for now - you can pay guys to shovel snow I hear). Sure I'll miss going to Jays and Raptors games but that's why god invented HDTV. If I had a family and was looking for retirement then I'd be looking a bit further out of T Bay - Kenora would probably be high on the list for that point in my life but not quite ready for that level of isolation just yet.

Hmmm ... lets see in 10 or 20 years ... Sandy Lane or Queens Fort (West coast Barbados) .... Magdalena, Malta or Marsalforn, Gozo.... or if I realllly had the cash to spare .... a perhaps little villa in Mustique .... but really and truly for now at least ... right where we are now in our humble little place in Etobicoke just walking distance from both sets of parents - who we are blessed to still have with us - and less than two hours from each of our kids who are experiencing their first few years away from the nest under the guise of continuing their education...the grass is always greener but having been there (and come back) I dont feel that I am missing out staying right where I am for a while more.

Couldn't be any happier living where I am now in Muskoka.

There's definitely a trick to it tho'.

Stay off Muskoka, Rosseau, Joseph etc. until the terrorists (see tourists) are gone.

Shop in town only on weekdays and stay the hell outta town on weekends - easy to do if you fish.

We just bought a new home between Bracebridge and Huntsville and real estate is more than reasonable if you stay away from waterfront property.

I've got 15 bass lakes within 25 minutes drive, my fave is only 10 minutes away.

No tourists ever hit these lakes and I usually have the whole lake to myself. Add thousands of acres of crown land in the area and I'm a happy camper.

2 hour drive to Murder City, oops I mean Toronto, to see family and distant friends ain't all that bad either.

Moved here from that area and I ain't never moving back.

Hopefully I'll be long gone from this world before the G.T.A. gets too close.

Hookset.