VHF, need one?

BFSC Kevin

Just looking around the net and saw a handheld unit. So that got me thinking if I need one?

I read this "You must have a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Certificate (ROC) to transmit on a VHF marine radio. Simply owning or listening to a VHF radio does not require a licence." from http://boating.ncf.ca/vhf.html

I'm assuming it is true?

For me, I don't think I will be in open water much. Might be heading out to Lake O next year actually.

Would a handheld unit do?

also on the site, it recommends a unit that has these;

* Marine radio with DSC (transmits position/time if connected to a GPS via NMEA 0183)

* 25-watt transmit power (5w if hand-held)

* Switch for low-power 1-watt transmit

* All legally-allowed International-Canadian-USA channels

* 10 weather channels

* Visible transmission indicator

* Readable display, adjustable backlighting

* 1-year warranty

* Hand-held: rechargable NiMH battery is good, but Lithium lasts longer.

* Hand-held: Battery charger, second battery

Any opinions?

Kevin... While I dont own a VHS yet.. I will... and have friends that do.. and they all say the same thing.. DONT get a handheld... if you need it when it counts.. you will be happy you have a 8' antenna and the extra transmitting power the stationary units afford.

G.

Thanks for your input Gerrit.

Right now i have some old hummingbird fishfinder on the boat,

I was thinking of getting a gps/radio(https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=283), which i can also use for ice fishing(cheaper option, which will probably make me stay closer, I doubt i'll be head too far out anyways, maybe when i do go out further, i'll do the below option.. lol)

or i can get a new gps/sonar and a stationary radio and get a handheld for ice fishing(VERY expensive option! but new toys:D)

kevin

*oh wait, i just realized, the humingbird ff on my dash, i can stick that at the bow since my powerdrive has universal sonar...

then i could get a sonar/gps and a radio...

yikes.. B.O.A.T.

Edited by kevin

Yes kevin,thats exactly what you need...DO NOT GET A HANDHELD VHF...get a mountable model...and one that has all those features...i got mine at bass pro shops for just under $170.00 and it works amazing and with my booster on my small antenae,i can get 12-16 miles somedays no problem.....

So..

i'm eyeing this one for VHF http://radioworld.ca/product_info.php?products_id=542

and this these two for gps/sonar, the second is priced at that because they were meant to be warranty replacements but they are brand new. Does that mean they dont come with the transducer?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...ndexId=cat21448

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...dexId=cat602012

So pretty much, I'd be getting these two things just in time for BOQ, use it maybe two or three times max before i need to put it away.

IS it too good of a deal and i'll need it that much to justify the purchase? instead of maybe waiting out till next year?

opinions please?

Edited by kevin

As for the VHF radio, you'll do fine with your choice. I took the course in the spring time and my instructor had bought this model for his boat. Solara DSC

The DSC (Digital Selective Calling) in an awesome feature to have. When hooked up to a GPS, all you have to do is hit the DSC button and it will transmit your location to the coast guard if your in an emergency situation and can't talk on the radio. Ie. boat sinking/on fire, health concerns etc. I highly recommend that you take the course, money well spent and if you have the radio you'll want to be able to use it. Right now I have a handheld unit (suited me fine for my purposes so far) but a fixed mount unit is on the Christmas list as I plan to be on Lake Ontario more often next year. :)

As for the gps/sonar units, you'll do fine with either unit. I'd call them to find out about the transducer and antenna for the gps to see in they are include on the warranty units.

I haven't priced out these units recently but they look like a good deal from checking out a couple of other sites on similar models.

Good luck with the purchases.

just to be different...... if you are only going to use it in one boat, get a fixed mount

but if you want to be flexible get a good handheld and a good fixed antenna and it will do everything a fixed unit will do

you and buy a mount and 12v connector and it is the same as the fixed mount